Terry Fox

by Hannah from Calgary

Terry Fox Adjectives (I made it.)
Terry Fox Adjectives (I made it.)

Terry Fox is my hero. I picked him because he did a lot for Canada and its people with cancer. Terry Fox had cancer like another billion people in the world. He had cancer in his leg and had to have it amputated. He got a replacement metal leg so he could walk and run like us but it was harder to move his metal leg. He was of course disturbed by the surgery but later on in his life he decided to do something that was never done before. He knew that billions of people had cancer and had not been able to fight it and passed away. He decided to make a run for cancer. He would do this with his metal leg and his good leg running miles each day raising money for hospitals all around the world. It was tough but he knew that he would be able to help kids, teenagers, babies, and adults all around the world.

Terry and his leg
Terry and his leg

On this disturbing and hurtful journey, Terry Fox had to go through a lot of things that almost none of us (except those with cancer) have ever had to go through. He had pains in his lungs but didn’t want to admit it for the fear of stopping the run. He had to run miles and miles each day and have a little bit of food in between. He had pain and that was the problem. He was always hurting in his lungs. Everyone would if they were running. He thought it was something like that. Something everyone experiences when they run. This was something that was tricking him. It was not just running pains. It was worse, but Terry Fox decided to ignore it.

Terry Fox T shirt design
Terry Fox T shirt design

He was still hurting. He was still ignoring it. Some people think that he kept going because he was being dunked in fame and being known by all, in front pages in all the newspapers. In my opinion, they are wrong. Yes he was famous and yes he was known by all but he kept running because he was raising money for treatments and kids. He wanted them all to survive. He was half way done, no, more then halfway done but his lungs were hurting him too much. He could not run because he would fall down. He was coughing but kept insisting to go on. He wanted everyone with cancer to be treated. He couldn’t quit now, but his pains were big, and they hurt.

Terry Fox Running
Terry Fox Running

After a while, his family, friends and the pain finally persuaded him to go and see a doctor. When he came back he was disappointed in himself and for his fans with cancer. He was diagnosed with cancer yet again. His deadly cancer had spread through his body into one of the most important places in his body. His lungs were now infected with cancer. He decided that he was not going to run anymore in the run across Canada. He was sad and horrified. He went back for treatment for the second time seeing what he could do for his lungs. Sadly, he died and the treatment was not successful.

Now all we have are memories of Terry Fox and the wonderful things that he did. He raised so much money for cancer research, that now, a lot of people are coming out of the hospitals alive. We can all follow his example of the things that he did. Not exactly running all around Canada but participating in the yearly run sponsoring Terry Fox. He is a lifesaver for all of the people with cancer and for the people working in hospitals. It is tragic to see him going away, but he is still a big lifesaver and that’s why I chose Terry Fox as my Canadian hero. He is brave for doing all of the things for Canada and running with only one good leg. He is smart, kind and generous and that is why he knew he needed to run. Yes he was famous but he ran for the reason of all the people in the world that had cancer. He is a lifesaver and more.

The Terry Fox Foundation - information on Terry Fox and his foundation
The Terry Fox Run - Information on the yearly run
The Terry Fox Day - Includes Scheduled events
The Terry Fox coin - Fun activities and information on Terry Fox
Terry Fox information - The Terry Fox run

I picked Terry Fox because he did so much for people with cancer and continues to do that as people keep fundraising. I hope everyone will run the annual run and keep pride in their hearts and hope that people will help save those in need like Terry Fox for treatments and more. I have the pride and the heart and I know that he did so much. He is brave and generous and he has so many words to describe him. He is a lifesaver for all those with cancer. He is a wonderful son and brother. He meant of course a lot to his family and sadly they lost him. I think that we need to do as much as we can to help his dream and goal to come true.
Thank you