Tomas Jimenez

by Berenice from Van Nuys

My hero is my dad

My hero is my lovely dad, Tomas Jimenez. I think he is a hero to our whole family. I am very proud of him even though I wasn’t there to see what he did. My mom always tells me the hard things he has done for our family. She always tells me these things when I don’t want to help him do something. He will always be my favorite hero. Even though I have other ones, he will always be my true hero and here is why.

My dad has worked really hard to get where he’s at right now. When he first came here from Mexico with my mom, he came here for a better job and life. When he got settled in, my parents shared a one bedroom apartment with a lot of our other family members. After my sister Irene was born they decided to get a house and he had to work extra hard to get it. He always got home late when he worked with his boss, then a few years later he decided to be his own boss and went solo. He looked for new jobs and some workers. Now he got his license and is a general contractor and a good boss.

Tomas Jimenez my dad is still trying to find jobs for his workers even though the economy is not that good right now. His workers are actually family members so they work for him and he knows where to find them when something goes wrong. With the economy down right now he still is supporting them and is finding jobs for them so they can work and get paid. I think he is a very good boss because he is at least giving them a few days a week to work. He is still having problems with one of his workers that back stabbed him but is not letting that stop him from being a good boss.

I love my hero because he always keeps a roof over us. My dad always works so hard and because of that we have a good house. When we got our house it was small so a while after he decided to make a second part to the house. It was actually very small when I think about it right now; it had two bedrooms, a kitchen, living room, one bathroom, and a garage. Now we have all of it still but with a master bedroom, a room for me, and a pretty big bathroom. He always tries to work as much as he can to bring us food every day. He worked so hard that he bought another house and a relative is now living there but is having a little bit of problem with the rent money, but they're still trying and my dad is still supporting them as much as he can. After that my dad helped my brother and he got him a house, but he still has to pay all the rent but he doesn’t have problems with him. What I don’t like is that my brother is now my neighbor and although he sometimes bothers me I think it's good that he has a house to share with his wife.

My hero admires me because as you can see he did so many things to have a better life. He worked really hard to be a boss, but he still works like his workers. My dad always tried to give his workers a hand when they need it. He always has a roof, food, clothes, beds and everything we need to live a good life. All he did paid off because he reached his goal. My family loves him and now he is like the rich man to our family, but isn’t selfish about it. I love him so much and he will always be my one and only true hero. I’m so glad he’s my dad.