Tony Melendez

by Camilo from Cali, Colombia

This is going to be a writing about my hero. His name is Tony Melendez, I am going to describe his difficulties, abilities and I am going to write about his personal and artist life. Also I would write why he is my hero and some of his special qualities. Finally I will write about his awards and I would support the things I already write.

My hero, Tony Melendez, was born without arms on January 9 of 1962. His mother was a drug addict during her pregnancy. He was sent to Los Angeles area from Nicaragua to be fitted with artificial arms. He wore them until he was ten, when he got rid of them. "I didn't feel comfortable," he said, "I could use my feet so much more”. He was depressed when he was 20, because he looked at the mirror and he realized that he didn’t have arms, so he started crying. One year after that, he faced the circumstances and he decided to play the guitar with his feet and he became an artist. In fact he started playing guitar for churches, but when the time passed, he began doing concerts and composing songs.

Heroes for me are those who overcome the situations and give lessons to other people, doing that they overcome or solve the problems, and do not get stuck with a little problem. Tony Melendez has this qualities because he faced his situation, and he didn’t stayed in bed all his life. Nooooo, he woke up and he learned how to play the guitar and how to do normal things only with his feet. In fact the most important thing he does as a person, is to send a message into the unconsciousness of the people and it is: “Do not complain about your difficulties, thank god because the marvelous life, and if you think that the world give you the back, you are wrong, in the world you can find solutions for your problems”.

As I already have written, he is a hero due to the fact that he has received many awards like the one of the “NFL Alumni Association at Super Bowl XXIII in Miami” that consist in an inspiration hero a award in 2005. Also he has sung in a mass, to the pope, John Paul II. But I think that the best award that he had accomplished is the affection of the people in almost all the world.