Tom Roberts

by Harry from Wellesley

Tom Roberts, or my dad, is my hero. My dad grew up in Poughkeepsie, New York. He went to the Poughkeepsie public schools for grades k-12. He lived with his parents, and his two older sisters.

My dad was not what some would call, "artsy." My dad focused his time on academics, sports, and fun. My dad worked his hardest all the way through school. During his school years he was always striving to be better.

My dad also played a lot of soccer when he was younger. He was a goalie. My dad played for his town team and his club team. He set the record for the most shutouts in state history, which means not letting in a goal. He did this in 19 consecutive games. When my dad was in ninth grade, he was about five feet and four inches tall, by his senior year he was about six foot three.

Once my dad finished his years at Poughkeepsie public school he went on to go to Princeton University in New Jersey. He played goalie there for four years. After my Dad graduated from Princeton, he went to Harvard Business school for four years. After this my dad worked in New York.

When my dad finished his job in New York he got a job at an investment company in Boston called Summit Partners. When my dad first got there he had to work ridiculously hard. He on average would spend 3 nights in a hotel a week for business. Once my dad worked so hard for so long he was promoted to be a "partner." This means he is of the highest tier in his company. Now my dad is a co-owner of the company and has been there for 22 years. My dad has inspired me because I have always wanted to be like him, go to a great college, play soccer for a great college, and then have a great job. That is why my dad is my hero.