Theodore Roosevelt

by Justin from Dublin

A hero is someone who risks his or her lives for others. Heroes can show leadership in tough times. Heroes can solve problems under hard circumstances. Heroes persevere when the future's looking dark. Teddy Roosevelt showed all of those things.

When you hear the name Theodore Roosevelt, you think the 26th president of the United States. In reality Teddy was much more. He was an American statesman, author, explorer, soldier, huntsman, and NYPD police commissioner. Teddy showed the most leadership in the Spanish American War. In 1898, when the U.S. declared war on Spain, Teddy immediately joined the cause. Teddy organized his own volunteer cavalry, and called it the Rough Riders. A volunteer cavalry is an military regiment organized by someone who isn't in the actual army. When Teddy went to Cuba to fight the Spaniards, he faced great obstacles. The Rough Riders had a vicious encounter with Yellow Fever. The troops were dying and Teddy had to do something. Teddy solved the problem by attacking the Spanish at San Juan Hill. You may have heard the name, because it was one of the largest battles in the war. Even though the Spanish were outnumbered, they were heavily armed. Theodore decided to order a charge. Instead of just ordering the charge and standing back like a coward, Teddy charged with his men, showing great bravery and leadership.

After San Juan Hill, Teddy was considered a hero, for his great chain of command. Even though most will agree Teddy Roosevelt never directly saved somebody's life, his impact affected many. Most generals at the time would have withdrew their troops after they suffered casualties from Yellow fever, but Teddy didn't. It wasn't because he was selfish, but it was because he wouldn't let American lives go unanswered. He went to Cuba for a reason and he wasn't going to stop until he got the job done. If Teddy waited in Cuba more so he could retreat, more of his troops would die, and for what reason? Teddy had to persevere.

When I said Teddy Roosevelt was a good leader, I am not joking. If he wasn't a good leader than he would have never became president. He really knew what he was doing when he was on the battlefield. When the Rough Riders lead the assault on San Juan Hill, Teddy rode his horse first. He did this to show that the soldiers could charge. He did it to show it wasn't impossible.

Next time you hear "¨Theodore Roosevelt," don't just think about him being a president, think about him being a hero, a leader, and a perseverer.