Tom Scully

by Tommy from Bentonville

A hero is someone who does actions to help others. Heroes are not selfish; they must put their own needs after the needs of others. Heroes do not show off or boast about things they accomplish. My dad, Tom, is a hero.

The first reason my dad is a hero is because he does actions to help others. Whether these actions are something little such as helping me with my homework or something big like time he drove to California to pick up my sister. All of my dad’s actions benefit others. Every night my dad makes sure I have something to eat before I go to bed. No matter what he is doing, he is always willing to give my siblings and me a ride somewhere.

My dad is not selfish at all; he puts everyone’s needs before his own. One day after school I missed the bus so my dad left work early to pick me up. Another time last year I forgot my saxophone at my house and my dad brought my saxophone to school. My dad has been loaning money to my aunt for the past year in order to make her house payments.

My dad is a hero because he never brags or boasts about his accomplishments. When he cleans the house he does not ask for a reward; he just does it even if no one notices it. The sink broke once and my dad fixed it, I noticed, but he did not tell me because he did not want to brag about it. My neighbor’s roof was leaking so my dad brought a ladder over to my neighbor’s house to fix their roof. After he fixed it he did not ask for any money or some type of reward, he just wanted my neighbors to be happy.

My dad has had a major impact on my life. If my dad was not the man he was today I would not be the wonderful person I am today. My dad is my hero because of his willingness to do things for others, his selfless heart, and his humble mind.