Timothy Richard Tebow

by Matthew from San Diego

Most people know that Tim Tebow is no ordinary football player, and he has a well-known story that is much more important than football. Tim Tebow has touched lives everywhere and he has done it in many ways. Tim Tebow was born into a Christian family who were living in the Philippines at the time of his birth.  His father and mother traveled far from their home in America to tell others about Jesus. Tim spent his early years growing up in the Philippines and when he was a teenager, he went back there as a missionary to teach at his uncle's orphanage. Football came later after he learned and grew in his faith.  Tim Tebow was a star high school football player in Florida.  After high school, he became a backup quarterback at the University of Florida. This place is important because he was awarded the Heisman Trophy during his sophomore year. This gave him a national platform to speak about his faith.  In the fall of 2010, during Tebow's first year in the NFL, he was given the opportunity to play in his first NFL game for the Denver Broncos.  The Broncos lost that game, but Tebow played so well earned his position as the starting quarterback for the next game. A hero must have courage to speak in front of others with no fear of sharing their beliefs. They should have confidence about their beliefs to share to everybody he/she would see. Tim Tebow is a hero by possessing confidence about his beliefs and courage to speak about them in front of others.

Tim Tebow has confidence about his beliefs of Christianity and shows faith on the football field. Tebow has always been confident about Christianity and always cares for people. "Both Tebow and his favorite Bible verse, John 3:16 (proclaiming Jesus' promise of salvation), were in the top three Google Trends throughout most of Monday. Many people noted he threw for exactly 316 yards, an unintentional allusion to the Bible verse he etched into his eye black while winning national championships at the University of Florida" (Grossman).  Tebow decided to change his eye black to John 3:16 for this game and after that game, John 3:16 was the most popular search on Google the next day. He also shows confidence by praying on the field and is not afraid about what other people think.  Tebow prays on the field before and after games.  His kneeled stance with his head on his fist is known as "Tebowing."  This shows how faithful he is on the field.  He has influenced many people because of both the Bible verses in his eye black and Tebowing.  Tebow even spreads his faith to non-believers and not caring if they believe or not. Tebow is confident a lot of the time even off the field at churches in the United States.  "'We've had athletes being very vocal about their faith and using their status as athletes to promote their faith for a long time now,' said Tom Krattenmaker, author of Onward Christian Athletes: Turning Ballparks into Pulpits and Players into Preachers. 'But Tebow seems to have taken it to an extra level of intensity'" (Cherner, Reid). This part of the article shows how Tim Tebow has taken sharing religion on the field to a whole different level. He has put bible verses on his eye-black to show his belief.  He has the confidence to influence a lot of people, even non-believers and a few atheists. Tebow is astoundingly intense with Christianity and people can feel it all around him. It's like a lion roar across the world. Tebow has a lot of say and he is confident enough to be a huge influence to society. 

Often Tim Tebow is considered courageous to speak out in front of crowds about what he believes even if what he says is not popular. He shows his bravery when he was preaching at Lipscomb University: "'Tim is who he is,' said Brent High, the associate athletic director for spiritual formation at Lipscomb University, who saw an event sell out when Tebow was a guest speaker there" (Cherner, Reid). This shows how amazing his preaching is at events. He is not just a good football quarterback, but an astounding and charismatic preacher. His parents named him Timothy because, in the Bible, Timothy was a preacher and they wanted him to be a preacher. His mother became very ill when she was pregnant with him and she was advised to get an abortion.  She refused to do so and she risked her life to give life to him.  He has always been grateful and perhaps he learned to be courageous from his mother.  Tebow is a phenomenal preacher with a lot of faith and knowledge. Tebow also shows this in many other ways, especially this one: "He was a Heisman Trophy winner with two national championships to his credit and a first-round NFL draft pick. But it was an act of faith, not football, which launched him from the sports pages to the front pages two years ago" (Grossman). He had courage to say that he won the Heisman trophy because of faith, not football. This shows his courage of having faith and saying that faith influenced him shows he has an astounding amount of courage inside him. His courage made him a legend and a role model for Christians and NFL players all over the United States. Tebow shows courage to share faith with everyone so they can believe in Christianity. Tebow's courage brought him fame and fortune, but he all says it was out of faith, not his football skill that got him to that point.

These little details make a difference about how Tim Tebow has the confidence to talk about his beliefs and the courage to speak about them to others. Tim Tebow was confident enough to show his beliefs to millions of people and football fans. He had the courage to speak about Christianity to thousands of people in stadium worship services, at Churches and to strangers at a bus stop. Tim Tebow is an inspiration to me and others by speaking out about the Bible and his faith in Jesus.  I heard him speak at a worship service at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego on Father's Day 2012.  I shook his hand as he walked into the stadium. After I shook his hand, a photographer from NFL.com came to me and my friend and took a picture of us and was on NFL.com the next day. After the service, he walked freely in the crowd encouraging people individually.  He speaks without words when he has Bible verses on his eye-black and when he is Tebowing.  This makes people curious of what it is said in the verse and they Google it to find out. He has impacted many people by talking with nonbelievers about Jesus and the Bible. Tebow has no fear to speak out about it. Tim Tebow touches the lives of others like it's easy, but think about it. Have you ever had the confidence and courage to speak in front of hundreds of thousands of people about what you believe in?

Works Consulted

Cherner, Reid. "Can there be too much 'Tebowing'?" The Christian Century 129.1 (2012): 17. Biography in Context. Web. 7 May 2013

"Tim Tebow." Gale Biography in Context. Detroit: Gale, 2011. Biography in Context. Web. 7 May 2013

"Tim Tebow." Newsmakers. Vol. 2. Detroit: Gale, 2012. Student Resources in Context. Web. 7 May 2013

Grossman, Cathy Lynn. "It's Tebow Time." USA Today, 10 Jan. 2012: 01A. Student Resources In Context. Web. 7 May 2013

Hill, Jemele. "Laud the Courage in Tim Tebow's Stand." ESPN.com. ESPN, 2 Feb. 2010. Web. 08 May 2013

Russell, Skip. "Tim Tebow." Tim Tebow (2010): 1. Biography Reference Center. Web. 7 May 2013

Tebow, Timothy R. with Whitaker, Nathan. "Through My Eyes" (2011): Harper Collins Publishers, New York, New York

Zavada, Jack. "Tim Tebow Biography." About.com, Christianity. About.com, 2011, Web. 07 May 2013