Tiger Woods

by Jared from San Diego

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Woods#/media/F ())

"Golf is evolving, every day, every shot." This is the state of golf, according to Tiger Woods.  Tiger has been influential in the evolution of the sport, he is one of the most influential golfers in the sport's history. Tiger dominated the game of golf in an aspirational way, in a way that had never been accomplished before. Tiger Woods was born to play golf. Eldrick "Tiger" Woods was born on December 30, 1975, in Cypress California. He is the only child raised by his African-American dad, Earl and his Thai mom, Kultida. Nearly 2 years after he was born, Tiger picked up the interest of golf. Not long after Tiger started competitively playing in junior golf events. He would then go on to be the golfer and hero we know today. A hero is person who makes a positive impact towards society. A hero must contain a few personal qualities that define. Tiger Woods is a hero because he is hardworking, perseverant and inspirational.

(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/tigerwoods/7 ())
Tiger Woods was one of the most successful golfers because he worked harder than anyone else. Since he was black man playing golf, many people didn't want him to succeed, so Tiger worked and earned every opportunity that he ever had. Tiger defied the odds and went on to break records in the world of professional golf. To make the achievements even more special,golf was previously   But these achievement wasn't just handed to him, he had to shed blood , sweat and tears to achieve the status he has today. According, to Uxl Biographies, "He (Tiger) was the youngest golfer and the only African American to win the Masters Tournament. Considered one of the most successful athletes of all time, Woods won fourteen professional major golf championships. He also has won seventy-one PGA Tour events, the third highest of all time. Woods is also the youngest player to achieve the career Grand Slam, as well as the youngest and fastest to win fifty tournaments while on tour. He also is the second golfer in history to achieve a career Grand Slam three times. Woods is the winner of sixteen World Golf Championships, and a ten-time winner of the PGA Player of the Year award (1)." Tiger Woods achieved things that very few other men have done in the history of golf. He also exemplified his presence as the number one golfer. Not only that, he proved that anybody can be good at golf not just rich, white, and conservative men. Woods held records all across the board. In his time of dominance people called it the Tiger Era. It seemed like Tiger was unstoppable, nearly winning all of the tournaments he started in. Tiger not only worked on the course but helped others off the course. Tiger never forgot his roots, he believed that everybody should be able to play golf, any race or religion and this is why he created the Tiger Woods Foundation. Now, Tiger Woods dedicates time from his busy schedule to help kids have the opportunity to play the game. In the article, Dare To Do Your Best by Pam Peterson, she proves,"This year TWF plans four Coca-Cola Junior Golf Clinic and Exhibition events. Tiger will give 25 kids a hands-on lesson, while professional golf instructors work with an additional 100 juniors, introducing them to golf for the first time. After the clinic, 3,000 children will get to see Tiger show off his skills. Children also have the opportunity to learn about the rules of the game, the history of minority participation in golf, and the career opportunities available in the golf industry (Peterson 10)." Tiger really wanted to work towards the future of golf. He allows kids that were just like him, able to pursue the game of golf without any roadblocks. Tiger cares for each and every youth he has impacted. He hopes to lead by example so his message will live forever growing and spreading all over the world. Very few people would do what Tiger Woods is doing, looking after and changing the sport of golf. Tiger Woods upheld critics and worked hard to be the best person he could be on and off the course.

Tiger Woods faced many challenges, but he persevered and strived onto do great things. Back in the 90's golf wasn't open to minorities, yet alone the thought black professional golfer was ludicrous. The Encyclopedia of World Biographies claims that Tiger Woods, "To many observers, Woods's rise to fame was tied to issues of race and ethnicity as well as to outstanding athletic performance on the golf course. "Tiger threatened one of the last bastions of white supremacy," wrote Strege in his biography of Woods. Although accusations of racial discrimination had been leveled against the Professional Golf Association (PGA) for many years, little was done (12)." When Tiger was starting to play golf he was racially discriminated, limiting his talent. But he persevered through all the hate and rose to become the number one golfer in the world. This made Tigers success even more impressive and outstanding. Tiger persevered through and challenged the white supremacy of the golf industry.  He was a pioneer for all people that wanted to play golf but never got a chance. Tiger Woods not only had to overcome racial discrimination but, he had injuries that questioned the end of his career. According to a report from UXL Biographies, his caddie remembers the 2008 U.S Open as, "On the course, the sickening click of bones rubbing together as he walked made me queasy," Williams recalled. "The groans and squeaks he made were unreal."It's the most heroic thing I've ever seen in golf" (8). In 2008, Tiger Woods suffered a knee injury, the biggest one in his career and worst of all, it came at an untimely matter. He had a surgery weeks before the U.S Open but, since he was defending the tournament Tiger insisted to play even with a heeling knee. All his doctors and trainers told him that he should back off and rest. But being Tiger, he dived into the tournament head first. During the full duration of the tournament, he suffered excruciating pain due to the his knee not properly healing and being under mass amounts of stress. But, Tiger grinded four days of limping through 18 holes. In Tiger like fashion, he won on the last hole shutting out his competitors by one stroke. Tiger Woods proved that nothing can stand in his way.

(http://theballerlifestyle.com/2015/11/05/the-balle ())

Tiger Woods became a worldwide icon, millions of people are inspired by him and look upon his success. Once Tiger woods became famous, him and his dad used his money and fame to create a foundation that helps kids have an opportunity to play golf. In the article, Dare To Do Your Best by Pam Peterson, she claims "Tiger, his father Earl, and their dedicated staff, feel that Tiger's most remarkable achievement as a professional is, undoubtedly, the establishment of the Tiger Woods Foundation (TWF). Through the foundation, Tiger devotes his time to inspire kids in golf, and even more importantly--throughout life. "Golf is not everything," Tiger says. "The most important thing is furthering yourself, making yourself a better person (Peterson 2)." Tiger believes that golf guides you through life. It teaches decision making, responsibility, integrity, perseverance and good decision making. This is why Tiger advocated so much of his resources, time and money, just so he can make the game more accessible. Tiger Wood's message could even be heard on the other side of the world. A young aspiring golfer named Jason Day, strived to be like Tiger following his footsteps. Today, Jason Day is the number golfer in the world. Tiger has never spoken or met  Jason Day until he became professional but, Tiger's message reached out to him and made Day into something great. This is why Tiger and his dad strongly believed in the Tiger Woods Foundation and its responsibility to the game of golf.  After Earl Woods died in 2006, Tiger made sure that his foundation would help more and more kids every year. Even when Tiger was number one, he still had a mentor guiding him through life, this was no other than Nelson Mandela. According to the article, "Tiger Woods Changed Sports, Nelson Mandela the World," by Robert Lusetich, he describes Nelson Mandela view on Tiger, "Because he's playing a sport that's international. Because he's qualified through his ethnicity to accomplish miracles. He's the bridge between the East and the West. There is no limit because he has the guidance. "I don't know yet exactly what form this will take. But he is the Chosen One. He'll have the power to impact nations. Not people. Nations! The world is just getting a taste of his power" (5). Tiger learned that he had the power to give everyone the access to play golf. His ethnicity and upbringing allowed him to relate to African-Americans and minorities. Nelson Mandela believed that Tiger was able to make a worldwide difference. Mandela wanted Tiger to bridge the game of golf to everybody else in the world. And, with all the power and influence Tiger was able to acquire, he was just the right person to make it happen He believed that Tiger was making a difference by making golf accessible to everyone not just old, rich white men.

Tiger knew he had the power to make a difference in the world, he took that power and made something great.

(https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2011/apr/05/tige ())

Tiger Woods is a hero because he conquered the predominantly white culture of professional golf. Once he gained fame and wealth he helped golf become accessible to everybody, not to just rich people. If you look around today there is no racial profiling to be a golfer, golf courses are open to the public, many organizations that support junior golf, we partly owe this to Mr. Woods. Tiger Woods has all the aspects of a living hero, he is hardworking, perseverant, and inspirational.

"Eldrick Woods." UXL Biographies. Detroit: UXL, 2011. Student Resources in Context. Web. 2 May 2016.

Lusetich, Robert. "Tiger Woods Changed Sports, Nelson Mandela the World." FOX Sports. Fox Sports, 5 Dec. 2013. Web. 05 May 2016.

Peterson, Pam. "The Black Perspective." Dare To Do Your Best: Tiger Woods Gives Back -. The Tiger Woods Foundation, 24 June 2011. Web. 04 May 2016

"Tiger Woods." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Vol. 18. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Student    Resources in Context. Web. 29 Apr. 2016.