Tony Hawk

by Kyle from Gillette, Wyoming

My hero is Tony Hawk. He has influenced many skaters around the world. Here are some things about him.

He was a skater back when they thought skateboarding would never be an actual sport. A legendary skater Stacy Poralta sponsored him. The 1969 world champion skater was trying to defend it against critics by pointing out how it exercise you and you also gain technique. Tony Hawk became a pro skater at the age of 13. Him and Mark Swiss were the Powell team.

They went around to local skate parks to skate it so they could get recognized. Their team name was Bones. With only two people they made skateboarding a little more noticed.

Only five years later and they won the NSC (National Skateboarding Companion). Then Tony went on his own to be sponsored by birdhouse when he was only 18. He loved to skate vert and he did it well.

In his life he has won over 10 X-Games and he has landed the single hardest trick in skateboarding: the legendary 900. He was the first one to ever land it but he wasn’t the one to invent it. Although he has invented tricks like the Madonna, the Benny Hanna, and the super twist. So as you can see he started just like everyone else…at the bottom. If you keep with it maybe you can be a good skater also and land the next really really really hard trick.