Tim Lincecum

by Julia from Roseville

Size Doesn't Matter
Tim Lincecum pitching (yahooimages)
Tim Lincecum pitching (yahooimages)

Tim Lincecum is a starting pitcher for the San Francisco Giants. Although Tim isn't big for a pitcher at 5'11" and 175 lbs, he can unleash a fastball of over 90 mph. It is incredible how Tim can throw that hard with his little body. Tim shows much perseverance and it proves to kids no matter how big you are you can do anything.

My hero is Tim Lincecum. He grew up in Bellevue, Washingtion and attended the University of Washington. At the University of Washington he won many awards including the Golden Spikes Award, given to the best amateur baseball player. Tim was born on June 15, 1984 and is now 25 years old. Lincecum makes a difference not only by helping the Giants to victories but also by inspiring kids to think big and never give up. What can you lose?

Tim Lincecum holding his Cy young Award (yahoo images)

Tim Lincecum played in his first major league game on May 6, 2007 against the Philadelphia Phillies. The next year Tim made the 2008 all-star game in New York but could not attend because he was hospitalized. In the same year he led Major League Baseball in strikeouts with 265. Also, he won the National League Cy Young Award. Lincecum is only the second to do so in a Giants uniform (after Mike McCormick.) During the 2009 season Tim made the National League all-star team for a second year in a row. This time he was the starting pitcher.

Tim inspires me by proving that I can do anything if I keep trying and it doesn't matter how big I am. He serves as a source of inspiration and motivation to others because Tim is not that big and can throw over 90 mph. You don't have to be 6 feet tall to play basketball or volleyball. If you practice hard and keep trying you can accomplish anything. He fits my definition of a hero because he makes me believe that I can do anything and I should never give up on my goals.

Lincecum's body doesn't stop him from doing anything. He has gone a long way by earning many awards and accomplishments. Tim is very young and talented and has many more years playing major league baseball. Often times he receives advice from teammate Randy Johnson, who has also won Cy Young Awards and has won over 300 games. Tim has persevered and it has paid off. Kids can look up to him thinking, "if he can do then I can too."