Tim Lincecum

by Slade from San Francisco

Tim Lincecum was born in Bellevue, Washington into a family of four. He grew up in Renton, Washington and attended Liberty High School where he entered his freshmen year at 4’11, 85 lbs. He played quarterback for the football team and point guard for the basketball team. At the time, his brother Sean was 6’4 260 lbs. In his junior year he grew until he was 5’5 125. In his senior year, he led Liberty high to a state championship. He received a scholarship to the University of Washington where he was the Pac 10 Freshmen of the Year and Pac 10 Pitcher of the Year, the first player in history to receive such honors. In his junior year he won the Golden Spikes Award, the best player in college baseball. He also set a Pac 10 record for all time strikeouts. The San Francisco Giants drafted him as the tenth pick overall. In 2008 he led the majors in strikeouts and was second in the National League in E.R.A. He won the 2008 Cy Young Award.

The Freak in motion.
The Freak in motion.

Tim Lincecum’s pitching motion is one of the most unique in the modern game. Scouts say it’s unorthodox, but the Lincecum pitching motion is actually an old school, homemade pitching motion using leverage and torque to save the golden arm of Tim Lincecum. The Freak starts off by tilting his head towards first base while reverse rotating his left leg to create more power. Lincecum then dangles his arm while it seems like he is stepping over something, a trick created to throw with more velocity. Then Lincecum steps down and begins his throw. His hips rotate and then his arm whip across his body and he follows through with his leg almost hitting his head. Although some people say a 5’11 172 phenom should not be able throw with such velocity, it happens countless times every time this young superstar takes the mound.

(http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/linc.jpg)
(http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/linc.jpg)

Tim Lincecum is a hero for people of all ages because he did something that everyone doubted he could do….. he made it to the Major Leagues. He should be an inspiration for everyone because he did what he stuck with what worked and he never changed. While everyone was saying he was too small Tim Lincecum was out there proving people wrong. My message to anyone who reads this is do what Tim Lincecum did, be yourself and be true to yourself, live up to your own expectations, and go out and prove people wrong because if people are doubting you anyways, you’ve got nothing to lose.