Library

Tessa

by Victoria from Pickerington

A hero is someone who is there through thick and thin. Heroes can be found in everyday society and also the comics that some read. We view heroes as amazing people with supernatural powers of strength and bravery or speed but everyday heroes are just as brave as any Marvel comic hero. A hero is someone who will put someone else's needs before their own, someone who is selfless and thinks of others before themselves. Excellence is...caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than what others think is possible!

It is absolutely essential to have a hero. If you don't have a hero then you have nothing to look forward to and nothing to hope for. Many people's heroes are their mom or dad or an aunt or uncle, grandma or grandpa. My true hero is Avril Lavigne. It seems silly but it's true. Her music speaks to me and she says what she thinks. I hope to be as brave as her and look forward to becoming more like her. So you have to have a hero for inspiration and hope.

Tessa I think is the true hero in Jenny Downham's book, Before I Die. She faces death but still wants to be a normal teenage girl. The first line of the book shows this. She says "I wish I had a boyfriend..." (downham,7). another reason she is a hero is because she puts in a brave face and a stiff upper lip. A quote or two - rather, one is, "I want to live before i die. It's the only thing that makes sense." (Downham,70). Another quote is found on page 73 of Jenny Downham's book, "I'm fine, nothing hurts today..."

If there was a hero hall of fame, Tessa should be in it. She is a strong girl. She is facing death in little over a month and all she wants to do is be a normal girl. Her friend Zoey helps her but the true master mind is Tessa. She is who deserves to be in the hero hall of fame. She is an amazing spirit and deserves this award.

My interview with Tessa went as follows:

ME: What is a true hero?
TESSA: a true hero is someone who will help others, no matter the cost to themselves. They are selfless and honest and trustworthy.

ME: How has your definition of a hero changed throughout your life?
TESSA: my definition of a hero has evolved and grown as i have. i used to think superman was the only superhero now i know that heroes are everywhere. All we have to do is look.

ME: Who is your biggest hero?
TESSA: My dad would have to be my biggest hero because he has suffered right along with me during all of my treatments and chemo and radiation therapy. He has always been there.

ME: When I say hero, what is the first word that comes to mind?
TESSA: The Flash is my favorite superhero and the fastest.

ME: Do you consider yourself a hero?
TESSA: No I don't consider myself a hero. I think I have the potential to be a hero but I'm not a hero. I make mistakes and am not always a hero but there are those moments that everyone has that make them true heroes and I have had my share of those.

ME: What is your favorite color?
TESSA: Red. It reminds me of the time I borrowed a dress from Zoey and we went clubbing.

ME:What is your favorite ice cream flavor?
TESSA: rockyroad my dad constantly gets it for me especialy since I've been so sick.

ME:What do you want to do with your life?
TESSA:My life is quickly coming to an end so I figure that all I can do with the life I have left is be the best me I can be and live for the moment.

ME:What dream do you have?
TESSA:I dream of getting better that I'll go into remission and getting better.

ME: how old are you?
TESSA:I am sixteen I haven't gotten my licence though.