Theodore Roosevelt

by Christian from USA

My hero is Theodore Roosevelt. He was born on October 27, 1858 and died at the age of 60 on January 6, 1919. Theodore was born in New York City and then lived on a farm in the Badlands in the Dakota Territory. After his mother and wife had both died, he went off to become a hunter. When he went on a trip to Africa to hunt, he killed his first bull elephant. He became police commissioner, where he took care of the police department and fired corrupt policemen. He also walked through the city at night to make sure policeman weren’t asleep on the job. He became deputy sheriff for the “Rough Riders.”

Theodore Roosevelt fought for the labor movement. The labor movement wanted to make working conditions better. They felt people weren’t being treated fairly at work. He was considered a thoughtful person because instead of thinking how he could help himself, he thought of how he could help others. He helped all people to live a fair and easier life. Doing these good deeds even helps people today.

Theodore Roosevelt was concerned about saving the environment. He was concerned because he knew that things people did polluted the air. He promoted measures for using natural resources wisely. He was an environmentalist because he wanted to save the environment. Today people are still trying to fix the problem of pollution just like Theodore Roosevelt started to do.

In conclusion, it is easy for Theodore Roosevelt to be known as a hero because of everything he did and the effort he put into doing it. He once said “There has never been a man in our history who led a life of ease whose name is worth remembering.” I will always remember the name of my hero, Theodore Roosevelt.