Danny Thomas

by Happiness from Cedar Grove

Bob Dylan once explained, “A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom.” A hero possesses qualities such as selflessness and devotion to his/her work and loyalty to the people around him/her. Heroes focus on their goals and never give up. Responsibility is the key to everything in their lives. Danny Thomas from Lebanon is considered a hero for building St. Jude Hospital for sick children.

Danny Thomas was born in the United States to Lebanonese parents. He lived from 1912 to 1991. When he was young, he worked in a circus, and when he raised enough money he began a career as a comedian. Danny Thomas was very talented and people loved him. Soon he was a TV star. He starred in a new show called “Make Room for Daddy.” Later he named that show The Danny Thomas Show to boost his popularity.

After being a TV star, he decided to build a hospital for the sick children in his home country, Lebanon. He raised money for his favorite charity and creation, The Saint Jude Hospital. “All of us were born for a reason, but all of us don’t discover why. Success in life has nothing to do with what you gain in life or accomplish for yourself. It is what you do for others,” spoke Danny Thomas. He was committed to this charity until he died of a heart attack in 1991.

A hero is a hard worker; he/she is dedicated to their work. A hero never gives up; he/she perseveres. Danny Thomas was a hard worker because no matter what happened he still built St. Jude Hospital for sick children. He was dedicated to his work because if any challenges came up, he would still keep his mind on his goal. Danny Thomas also persevered because no matter the difficulties he never quit. A true hero is very extraordinary to do something that doesn’t just affect that person but that affects the lives of people he or she may not even know. Danny Thomas was this kind of person.

In conclusion, heroes do accomplishments that don’t benefit only them but benefit other people. Heroes are very extraordinary. For building St. Jude Hospital for sick children, Danny Thomas from Lebanon is considered a hero. If it weren’t for him, children may not have had a chance to survive.

Danny Thomas - St. Jude's Hospital
Danny Thomas - Biography from Wikipedia