Uncle Billy

by Dorrie from Ansonia

Some people would choose an actress, or a basketball player, or some famous person for their hero, but I chose someone very special to me, my Uncle Billy. He has survived many challenges in his life, so I call him a survivor.

My Uncle Billy was born in 1955. He was the sixth out of eleven children. He was very successful as a child playing sports. He played many sports, but one of them was football. He played football as a quarterback for his high school, Number 16. He and his team were ranked every year. He also was an amazing atheletic basketball player. He played in a tournament every year. His favorite sport, however, was baseball. He played two positions; pitcher and first base. In 1974, Ansonia High School competed in their first ever championship. It was for baseball. My Uncle Billy was the pitcher. They were the State Champs that year. He was so great he was drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies. He decided instead to go to college. He also pitched in the college world series for the University of New Haven.

Unfortunately, in 1981, Uncle Billy was in a car accident. He wasn't able to play for the Phillies. He broke his back and broke his number 7 and 8 vertebrae, paralyzing him from the waist down. He was 26 years old. Since this accident, he has been in a wheelchair. He is a wonderful person for not being depressed because he can't stand up or do what he wants. Probably, the thing he does not regret is the fact that he can't play with the Phillies or have any future career as a baseball player. I love that about him.

My Uncle Billy has had many other tragedies in his life. For instance, his mother and sister died in a tragic restaurant explosion. This was a very difficult time for him. However, he always tells me stories of the fun times and funny things my grandmother and aunt did in their lives so that I feel like I know them too. Many upsetting events happened in his life but he is still the most cheerful and loving man I know!

My Uncle Billy inspires me to be a very happy person when life and situations are difficult. He always asks me what I'm doing and supports me in whatever I want to do. I hope my story and this lesson will help you, too!