Unknown

by Kyle from Massachusetts

The Unknown Hero

“Dad, let's go!” I said impatiently as I rushed out of the room.

“I’ll be there in a second,” he replied as I held the door in the elevator.

Suddenly the doors of the old, church elevator closed in on my small, three-year-old arm. I tried to press the open button but I could not reach it. Meanwhile my family’s friends attempted to call the elevator on different floors but to no avail. With only one thing left to do, someone needed to push the heavy elevator from the roof. One firefighter volunteered. I do not even know what he looks like, or his name, but, on that night, that firefighter was my hero.

Afraid and anxious I waited. Unknown to me, high above, my hero risked his life for me. Led by one of the pastors, a group of firefighters hurried onto the roof. Their plan: somehow, push the elevator to the basement, where it would automatically open the door thus freeing my arm. One firefighter climbed into the elevator shaft and cautiously stepped onto the top of the elevator. It did not budge. Therefore, my hero took a risk and jumped, as soon as he landed the floor dropped beneath him. Luckily, he grabbed a handhold just in time. “Thump,” the elevator dropped to the first floor, the door opened, and with tears running down my face I came out to meet the whole church waiting for me.

That night the firefighter left before I could thank him, or even see his face. Nonetheless, when I think about that night, I marvel at that man’s selflessness, bravery, and boldness. He risked his wellbeing for a person he did not know. I feel very privileged that people protect and save people like me. That night many years ago, I did not see the face of my rescuer, however, years later, whenever I ride an elevator I think of him: my unknown hero.