Victor Cotofana

by Daniela Furtuna from Drochia

Victor Cotofana (web ())
Victor Cotofana (web ())

A "hero" is a person that has high moral concepts, that is ready to sacrifice for the sake of others, that is distinguished by courage.  A person like this and a hero for me, and for village Chetrosu is "Victor Cotofana".
  He was born on April 6, 1968 in the village Chetrosu, in family Cotofana. He was growing a good boy, obedient and was the parents' help in all.

In 1985 he graduated from secondary school N1 and became a student at vocational school in Chisinau, receiving qualification "Technician of refrigeration".

He was later recruited into the army; he participated in the war in Afghanistan. During a military operation his car was in fire, he managed to save himself by jumping from the burning car; he burned his feet, but remained alive. Among the solders of the war he was marked by courage, which he proved not only once, self-confidence, achieved operations, he helped those who were in trouble, he did not leave the battlefield and always did his work to the end. Thus the war in Afghanistan he demonstrated the qualities of a hero, and then he became a symbol of dignity and the honor, but not thus ends his tragic destiny of a hero.

He came home, he found a job, and he met his future wife - Ala, and decided to create a family, but began Transnistrian conflict. When was triggered Transnistrian conflict, along with 32 other villagers he went to defend the Motherland, independence and integrity of the country, leaving home, his  young wife and little Victoria, his daughter.

From Transnistrian war he did not return; he was killed by the hand of separatists. He died on 20 June 1992, he was tortured, wrapped in the tricolor, they burned him and he was dragged through the center of Bender, to show what would happen with those who wanted independence and language.

The family's pain could not be relieved, not words, nor tears, to express so much pain and anguish. The whole village came to go with him in his last journey, honoring him as a hero, deploring the disaster warfare in Transnistria, irrecoverable losses of lives.

From that year on 20 June 1993 by the Minister of Education, School N 1, where he learned was named Victor Cotofana and the street where he lived, received his name, too.

The school
The school "Victor Cotofana" from village Chetrosu (web ())

Victor Cotofana in my conception is a model for us, we will strive to possess his qualities.

Heroes do not die ... heroes are born and remain forever in our hearts and memory.

Victor Cotofana is a "hero" for our village and our institution, a model of Love for the country, Freedom, Goodness, Peace.