Vincent Van Gogh

by Yuting Shen from San Diego

"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream." - Van Gogh
Van Gogh Self-portrait (https://yellowochreblog.wordpress.com/2014/11/01/vincent-van-gogh-self-portraits/)

The popular 80s song, "I Need a Hero" by Bonnie Tyler, describes how a hero "...gotta be strong, and he's gotta be fast, and he's gotta be fresh from the fight. I need a hero. It's gonna take a superman to sweep me off my feet" ("Bonnie Tyler"). For Bonnie Tyler, her hero has special powers and the ability to save her life. In reality, heroes don't need to have superpowers; any regular human being can be a hero. Vincent Van Gogh, a Dutch artist active during the 20th century, is one of the best examples of a regular human being a hero to generations. He was a self-taught painter who had an incredible artistic talent. He started his artistic career with no knowledge in painting, and learned through attempts. Despite many hard times and obstacles, he persisted in order to achieve his dream. Unfortunately, Van Gogh did not achieve recognition until he passed away. Now, his artworks are known worldwide and inspired many people to chase their dreams and work hard. Therefore, Vincent Van Gogh is a hero for today's generation because he was determined to follow his dream, worked hard to improve himself, and is one of the most influential artists in history.

Van Gogh had a determined mindset to overcome any obstacles in his way. The Vincent Van Gogh Gallery, a collection of Van Gogh's life and works, says that after Van Gogh's relocation to Paris, "Van Gogh lost all desire to become a professional art dealer; instead following in his father's footsteps. He became an artist. Without any proper training, or even having open artistic talent, Gogh doubted his abilities" ("Selected Websites..."). After Van Gogh arrived at Paris, he finally found what he wanted. He decided to pursue his art dream, even he didn't know anything about creating art, and never had any proper training. An UXL Encyclopedia of World Biography which features 750 biographies of notable historic and current figures from around the world writes that Van Gogh obtained confidence after he sold the only one painting in his lifetime. "In early 1890 van Gogh was given a boost by the news that Theo had sold one of his paintings. It was the first and only painting sold during his lifetime. [After that] Van Gogh attacked his canvases as a man possessed in these spring months, producing over sixty paintings" ("Vincent Van Gogh"). Although Van Gogh only managed to sell one painting during his life, he still persevered and always worked towards his dream. His meager achievements did not cause him to lose determination. He used painting as a way to fill the empty spaces in his life caused by the lack of support and love. Colin Powell, an American statesman used to say: "A dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work" ("Colin Powell Quote"). Just like what he said, determination is the basis of  what gives normal people the ability to achieve their dream. Becoming influential person not only belong their talent, but also need his full persistence. Even obstacles can break up because person's determination. Van Gogh's determination inspire generation to keep going and make full efforts to what they pursue.

sunflowers, 1888 (http://www.vangogh.net/sunflowers.jsp)

Van Gogh worked hard to achieve his dreams and improve his skills. In the beginning of Van Gogh's studying, he didn't have enough funds to support his dream, so "at home Vincent set to work on teaching himself how to draw. Vincent soon became passionate about becoming an acclaimed drawer of figures, and continued to practice his newly developed skills" ("Selected Websites..."). Van Gogh studied art by himself, occasionally discussing with other artists learning as he tried new things. He tried his best at every small opportunity to improve his creativity. Showing that failure is the mother of success, his hard work and opportunistic spirit led him to leave an amazing effect on art. In early 1886, Van Gogh went to Paris. Because his brother supported him financially, he began to work even harder, spending "many hours at Paris cafes with these painters, discussing the newest notions concerning color, light, and nature. The effects on van Gogh's work were immediate" ("Vincent Van Gogh"). Van Gogh knew his weaknesses, but he gladly listened to and learned from other artists' criticisms. He worked hard to fix his areas of weakness and improve himself as an artist, which eventually paid off in the quality of his paintings. During his lifetime, Van Gogh also continually wrote letters to his brother, in order to let out his frustrations and thoughts. Web Exhibits, a virtual museum, records all of Van Gogh's letters. One of the letters Van Gogh wrote in September 1889 says: "I put my heart and soul into my work, and I have lost my mind in the process. After I was sent to an asylum that if given a choice I would have never chosen madness"("Van Gogh's Letters..."). Van Gogh recounted his tough time to his brother. He focused his whole soul on art. After he went to the asylum, he worked so hard that he felt isolated from everyone else who chose easy paths and thought Van Gogh was crazy. Not most people will spend their lifetime doing what they dreamed, because their efforts are usually blocked by family, life, lovers. It is incredible that an artist went from footless training to being the most influential artist of the century in just ten years.

Van Gogh Museum (http://favim.com/image/3845298/)

Van Gogh's unique artistic style and stories influenced many generations, causing many people to admire and collect his works. Although Van Gogh created many paintings that seemed ordinary during his lifetime, "his thousands of drawings have various characteristics that have been copied by thousands and duplicated by none. Van Gogh's unique life has inspired millions to become active in art" ("Selected Websites ..."). Despite not being successful during his lifetime, eventually his artworks and style inspired most of people to chase their dreams. Many modern artists imitate his art style and research his plain view. Almost of his artworks that exist have been sold at a high value or displayed in museums. According in Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia by Funk & Wagnall, an American publisher known for its reference works, says:  "In 1973 the Van Gogh Museum, containing more than 1000 paintings, sketches, and letters, was opened in Amsterdam. Following a complete renovation and the completion of a new exhibition wing, it reopened in June 1999" ("Gogh, Vincent..."). Now, Van Gogh and his works are well-known around the word. The Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam opened an exhibition that taught people about Van Gogh's life and his take on art. The museum helped artists better understand Van Gogh's take on art and helped them appreciate his style. Van Gogh learned from discussion, and it reflected on his way of drawing. He was intent on painting nature, was similar to many artists before him, but "what sets him apart from the artists who preceded him and also links him to modern artists, was his ability to do away with "accuracy" of shape and color in order to graphically express his emotions" ("Vincent Van Gogh"). His unique technique is now a classic style in modern art. Whether in his skills with combining colors or his ability to express his emotion graphically, all of Van Gogh's techniques became the model for artists today. In modern life, Van Gogh's unique artistic vision influenced many artists, so they often imitate it. For example, "[Stefan Duncan has] been greatly influenced by Vincent van Gogh. Stefan utilizes this updated technique to draw the quick strokes of the impressionists"("Selected Websites ..."). Stefan Duncan is a leading impressionist, known as "America's Vincent van Gogh." Van Gogh's works affected him greatly, therefore his drawing style is really similar to Van Gogh's. Van Gogh has become classic artist example in art textbooks, even though he only was an ordinary man in the era of his lifetime. Van Gogh is a hero that inspire most of people, especially, in art circles.

Van Gogh had determination to follow what he wanted, worked hard to prove himself. Because his ten-year persistence, he became one of the most influential artists in history. Van Gogh was one of famous artists now, and his art life was more special than that of other artists, because, "In spite of his lack of success during his lifetime, van Gogh's legacy lives on having left a lasting impact on the world of art"("Selected Websites ..."). Assuredly Van Gogh's success based on his determination and working hard. He inspires artists today, whether self-taught or professionally trained, to work hard in order to achieve their dreams. Van Gogh chose his own life and lived it to the fullest. He became more determined and hard-working instead of giving up, because People's objections and his footless art abilities all just encouraged him. His spirit not only inspired artists but regular people to never give up. Van Gogh will always remain an inspiration and a hero.

Work Consulted

"Colin Powell Quote." BrainyQuote. Xplore, n.d. Web. 17 May 2016. .

"Gogh, Vincent Willem Van." Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia (2016): 1p. 1. Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia. Web. 5 May 2016.

"Bonnie Tyler." - I Need A Hero Lyrics. SONY/ATV MELODY, n.d. Web. 17 May 2016. .

"Selected Websites on Vincent Van Gogh's Life and Works." Gale Biography in Context. Detroit: Gale, 2008.Biography in Context. Web. 15 May 2016.

"Vincent Van Gogh." UXL Biographies. Detroit: UXL, 2011. Student Resources in Context. Web. 4 May 2016.

"Van Gogh's Letters - Unabridged." Van Gogh's Letters - Unabridged. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 May 2016. .

Vincent Van Gogh Gallery - His website
Van Gogh Museum - Art museum in Amsterdam
Van Gogh''s letters - Recording all of his letters
Vincent Van Gogh - Biography