Vaughn Kee

by Zach from Maryville

A hero to me is caring, compassionate, strong, and nice. My Papaw, Vaughn Kee shows all of those traits. He fought in WWI, lost a son, and helped to nurture four young boys while their parents were trying to get on their feet.

Staying strong is key in fighting in a world war, and my papaw showed that. He fought on a gunship. On the side, he even had time to play French horn in the army band. so, although fighting in a war was hard, my papaw stayed strong.

Losing a son can also be a hardship. During the loss of his son, Edward, Papaw broke down, and cried and was not strong. Every person in my family could not stay strong, and Papaw saw that. He swallowed his sadness and was strong, yet compassionate for the rest of his family. Granny had the hardest time, and when Papaw saw that, he sat down with her everyday and comforted her, whether she was angry she lost him or sad. He always makes her feel better.

Papaw had fun taking care of four grandsons while his kids were getting on their feet and getting used to having kids. Whether it be staying over on weekends or staying for a month straight, Papaw was compassionate. He would teach them how to live life and be strong, but he would have fun with them in the process.

Fighting in WWII, losing a son, and helping to raise four kids can be hard, but staying strong, compassionate and fun are huge characteristics that my papaw showed.