Vera Wang

by Jacquie from San Diego

My hero is Vera Wang. Vera Wang is a famous fashion designer. Who makes dresses, shoes, accessories and clothing.  She was also a figure skater in high school and after figure skating she had the idea to design figure skating costumes. And she also designed her own costume. Vera Wang is known to be really creative with colors and mixing different shades and coming up with the best color for the wedding dress. Vera Wang became known as the designer in the 1990s with her up-to-date wedding dresses. To sleek evening gowns to elegant figure skating costumes.

Wang was born on June 27, 1949. In New York City, to Cheng Wang and Florence Wang. Her mother worked as a translator for the United Nations, and her father owned a medicine company. Wang has one younger brother, Kenneth Wang. She graduated from The Chapin School in 1967 and earned a degree in art history from Lawrence College, when she was 23. She married Arthur Becker in 1989. They live in Manhattan with their two adopted daughters Cecilia born in 1990, who currently attends the University of Pennsylvania, and Josephine born in 1993. While in high school, she trained with a partner named James Stuart, and competed at the 1968 U.S. Figure Skating Championships. She tried out for the Olympics but did not make it. So she decided to go into the designing industry. These shades may be traditional, but the style of the dress is what makes it appear elegant and unique. For example, Vera Wang's wedding dresses are different by attaching thick layers of fabric in the skirt. And on the top of the wedding dress can be really simple with a floral design but the crystals and beads on the dress at some spice to the design.

She became the youngest editor for Vogue magazine and she worked there for 16-17 years. After working in the fashion industry about 18 years, she realized that there was no fashion in the bridal industry. What she felt about the bridal industry at the time she thought there was not that many traditional dresses. She started to think what any woman with fashionable sense would want to wear for their wedding. She decided to design her own bridal line. Her bridal gowns are worn by many celebrities like, Alicia Keys, Victoria Beckham, Jennifer Garner, Kim Kardashian, Jennifer Lopez, Avril Lavigne, Mariah Carey and many more.

In conclusion, I think Vera Wang is my hero because of her unique designs, and she is a very independent woman. She is now about 62 years old and still making her exclusive designs. Vera Wang was put into the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame in 2009, and was honored for her contribution to the sport as a figure skating costume and wedding dress designer.