Sandy Vecchione

by Angela from Pinehurst

My hero is my cat, Sandy. One day, my father brought him back from a shelter. Sandy was scared, dirty, shy, and appeared to be mistreated.It was difficult to love a cat with these characteristics, but we did.

Sandy is intelligent.One night when I was sick, he heard me coughing.My parents didn't know because they had already retired for the evening.When he heard me, he immediately alerted my parents by pushing on their door and waking them up. My parents gave me some medicine to go to sleep. Then, the next day, they took me to the doctor. He said that I was very sick, and told me to drink liquids.

Sandy is determined.When he can't do something such as jump up on my bed, he doesn't give up. He keeps trying, and trying, and trying. Also, when he can't get the food out of his bowl, Sandy tries, and tries until he accomplishes the task. This behavior teaches me to be determined and never give up.

Sandy is determined and intelligent in many ways and is very special to me.

Written by Angela Vecchione, Pinehurst Elementary School, third grade student, Pinehurst, North Carolina