Will.I.Am

by Grace from Hastings, New Zealand

My hero is William Adams, aka Will.I.Am. He is an American recording artist, songwriter, entrepreneur, voice actor, DJ, record producer, and philanthropist, as well as one of the founding members of The Black Eyed Peas. Will.I.Am is famous mainly for singing but he also has starred in 6 movies, 6 TV series and 2 video games.

William is famous but that definitely doesn't mean he is a snob with a fake personality. He is kind and he knows how much some people suffer. William Adams knows what poverty is like. William has suffered but it doesn't break his personality. William is famous but it doesn't stop there; he is also super-talented, kind, giving and family-loving.

Will.I.Am had a harsh childhood but he stayed optimistic. When he was 11 he told his mum "One day I'm going to buy you a house.' And she said, 'Boy, don't you be making promises you can't keep.' But he replied 'No, Ma, it's not a promise. I'm going to buy you a house one day". He did eventually buy his mum a house in a safe neighborhood and didn't stop there; he repeated his kind actions with his grandma. Apparently he doesn't want to stop at his family he wants to help others as well.

There were a lot of gangs in the Mexican neighborhood where he grew up. Everyone was either involved in sports, the arts or was part of the gang. Sadly enough most of his friends hadn't chosen sports or the arts. They were either part of a gang, dead, in jail, on drugs or selling drugs, not exactly the perfect childhood.

When Will.I.Am first became famous he didn't know what to use all his money on. When he got his first cheque he didn't know what to do with it so he locked it in his glove box. He did the same with 4 other cheques which meant he was storing $400,000 in his car. Once William had helped himself and his family, he started his charity I.Am.Angel. The I.Am.Angel team are working on: I.Am.scholarship, I.Am.College Track, Boyle Heights Centre and I.am.mortgage. That is a lot of programs for one charity; a normal person could not efficiently run I.Am.Angel. It is a good thing Will.I.Am is in charge.

Will.I.Am helps others in many ways. He has started a new Mortgage Relief Program called I.Am.Home. Through this business he hopes he can help people who are losing their homes or are facing foreclosure due to the flailing American economy, it also helps people who have no job. It has started well except for a few hiccups like when they saved a lady's house and got her a job. The next day she didn't show up at the hospital for work and was fired. "The reason I started I.Am.Home is because I come from poverty. I survived and came out of it because you guys support my music. My one day-dream was to have a house, buy a house for my mom and take care of family. Now that I've achieved that goal I can't forget what it was like - living on the verge. Helping out families in need is a personal venture. Something I feel I need to do." - will.i.am

Will.I.Am also runs I.Am.STEAM. STEAM stands for science, technology, engineering, arts and maths. I.Am.STEAM is funded by Will.I.Am's charity I.Am.Angel. I.Am.STEAM helps kids go far in Science, technology, arts and maths. I.Am.Boyle Heights provides students with the tools and other important items they need to get in to and graduate from college, as long as it is to do with the arts. I.Am.Boyle Heights has recently partnered up with CA Empowerment and I.Am.College Track (Another program to do with I.Am.Angel and therefore to do with William.) I.Am.College Track is a feature in I.Am.Boyle Heights. I.Am.College Track helps students live their dreams of graduating from university. 100% of College Track seniors graduate from high school, more than 90% are admitted to a four-year university, and 75% of College Track students are currently enrolled, or have graduated from, college. Over 85% of College Track students will be the first person in their family to earn a college degree. The results of this program are astonishing. It shows how much help Will.I.Am is. I.Am.Scholarship finds students who need financial support. Will.I.Am uses I.Am.Angel to look for students with a number of accomplishments and helps them make their dreams a reality through I.Am.Scholarship. Will.I.Am has made many students successful because he knew what it was like having a talent that could not shine.

William has helped people, become famous and done his best to make sure kids don't have to relive his childhood. That is why he is my hero and a hero to many others.

Oprah.com - Saves Familes from Foreclosure
Oprah.com - Williams College Scholarship
I.Am.Angel Foundation