Wilson (Snowflake) Bentley

by Haley from Quakertown

"Under the microscope, I found that snowflakes were miracles of beauty; and it seemed a shame that this beauty should not be seen and appreciated by others. Every crystal was a masterpiece of design and no one design was ever repeated.
This is Bentley taking pictures.
This is Bentley taking pictures.

Wilson Bentley grew up in a small village in Vermont. He admired the snowflakes and knew that they were not just white specks floating in the air, but a unique structure with no two alike. He spent many hours studying the flakes under a microscope, but they would melt in seconds.

Since Wilson had to have pictures of the snowflakes, he asked his parents if he could get a new microscope camera. His parents said okay. They used a lot of their savings and bought the camera. I think it was very generous of his parents to do this.

this is a snowflake he took a picture of

Wilson tried for years, but did not succeed. After a couple of years, he started to accomplish his dream. He took so many pictures that he wrote books about his life and his pictures. In the village he grew up in, they made a museum for him in honor of his dedication.

My hero is Wilson “Snowflake” Bentley because he cared about the delicate snowflakes and their designs. The people in his town thought he was crazy, trying to photograph snowflakes. He did not listen to them and kept on trying to take pictures. He did it and he proved them wrong. When I learned how long and hard he worked, I really appreciated him and knew he was different.

Wilson A. Bentley The Snowflake Man - A Website about the life of Wilson A. Bentley
The Bentley Snow Crystal Collection - The museum dedicated to Wilson A. Bentley
Snowflake Bentley - A book about Wilson A. Bentley