Warren Buffet

by Jeesoo from Eden Prairie

“My luck was accentuated by my living in a market system that sometimes produces distorted results, though overall it serves our country well."
Warren Buffet is a philanthropist. (http://images.forbes.com/media/lists/10/2009/warren-buffett.jpg)

Warren Buffet is an investor, industrialist, philanthropist, billionaire, and is one of the richest men in the world. In 2008, he was the richest man in the world, and in 2011, he became the third richest person. He’s a hero not because he has fortune, but because he uses the fortune for charity and fighting poverty. He donated money to businesses and foundations. He’s the chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway. Berkshire Hathaway is an American conglomerate holding company headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska. They manage a number of subsidiary companies.

Warren Buffet was born in Omaha, Nebraska in August 30, 1930. He began his education at Rose Hill Elementary School. Then he went to Alice Deal Junior High School, and graduated from Woodrow Wilson High School in 1947. His strong interests were stock markets and investing. He went to college as freshmen in 1947 at the Wharton Business School of the University of Pennsylvania for two years.

In 1962, Buffet became a millionaire. In January of 1962, he had over $1,025,000. In May 29, 1990, Buffet became a billionaire when Berkshire Hathaway began selling class A shares. In June 2006, Buffet announced that he gradually would give away 85% of his Berkshire Hathaway holdings to five foundations in annual gifts of stock, starting in July. The largest contribution would go to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is the largest transparently operated private foundation in the world, founded by Bill and Melinda Gates.

Buffet is very special because he shows a sense of humility, unlike a lot of celebrities and billionaires. He proved himself in the world of business, but he also is looking to prove himself on showing great humanity to the world, a great feat that he values a lot.

In 2004, Buffet’s wife died from a stroke. It was a huge loss and tragedy, so it made Buffet think about himself and his wife wanting to be remembered together. Six years later, Buffet has given 8.3 billion dollars to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and six billion to five other small charities. Sure, you think that’s a lot of amount of money to give away, but he’s important to the world because he gives a lot of donations. He’s one of the greatest philanthropists and entrepreneurs in history.