Warren Buffett

by Bailey from San Diego

(content.time.com ())
(content.time.com ())

Colin Powell once said, "A dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work." These qualities which, anyone can possess, can help achieve a dream and take one beyond their imaginable goals. Warren Buffett was born August 30, 1930 in Omaha, Nebraska. During his life he became the fourth richest man in the world, has worked his whole life for the thing that has interested him most- money. His money has come honestly to him, leaving him to not let it empower his better judgement. In the midst of billions of dollars, his humility has always become evident. A hero must possess diligence and selflessness, whether it means discovering innovative ways to succeed or giving just as much as you get in life. Warren Buffett portrays hard work and generosity everyday, these traits qualify him as a hero.

From a very young age, Buffett has demonstrated hard work to achieve his success. While most children were enjoying family vacations, Buffett had another idea of fun, "... six year-old Warren Buffett found a way to make a tidy profit. During a family vacation to a lake area, the boy bought a six-pack of Coca-Cola for a quarter. He then walked around the lakefront peddling individual bottles of Coke to sun bathers for five cents apiece." ("Business Leaders: Warren Buffett"). Buffett combined his love for mathematics and love for money to make a 20% profit. Since this was during the Great Depression, it was difficult even for adults to make money, so it was a grand achievement that a child did. This simple gesture marked the start of a trend. "At age 13 he ran paper routes and published his own horse racing tip sheet."("Warren Buffett" Newsmakers). Feeding his obsession with money and numbers, Buffett held an eclectic resume even at the age of 13. These jobs eventually took up the greater part of his free time but he loved the cash flow. All of his work experience lead him to develop wise opinions as a child.

(www.businessinsider.com ())
(www.businessinsider.com ())

Despite his extreme success, Buffett has always managed to display acts of generosity. His kindness has and continues to benefit people of all ages. "Between 1996 and 1999, Berkshire Hathaway, located in Omaha, Nebraska spent $27.3 billion to purchase seven companies and industries as diverse as aviation, fastfood and home furnishings." ("Warren Buffett" American). He seeked to improve all aspects of the business world, not just limiting his ventures. Buffett led these companies to success and gave them new opportunities because of his wisdom and leadership. This move increased jobs to the working middle-class and provided steady incomes for the workers. Warren Buffett had numerous ways to give back through his success. "In 2006, Buffett announced that he would donate the lion's share of his wealth, an estimated $31 billion to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation." ("Warren Buffett" Gale). He targeted this foundation because of its connections with many charities, which benefit people of a variety of needs. Buffett even set up this account so the foundation will still receive fortunes after his death. Buffett's generosity continues to help millions of people.

Warren Buffett's inspiring hard work and constant generosity prove why he is a hero. Starting from his youth, Buffett has always come up with creative ways to make money. Also, when his worth began to expand tremendously, he never lost track of his values and always gave back to the community. He is an inspiration to his peers, as well as the rest of the world because of his minimalistic lifestyle, despite his fortunes. Buffett  succeeded in never letting his wealth interfere with his views and beliefs. It is often wondered what it takes to be a man of the people; someone relatable, humble, kind and hard working. Warren Buffett explains it in 14 words, "Money will not change how healthy you are or how many people love you."

Jackson, Anne Janette. Business Leaders: Warren Buffett. Greensboro: Morgan Reynolds, 2009.

Print.

Malvasi, Mark G., and Meg Greene. "Warren Buffett." American Decades: 1990-1999. Ed. Tandy

McConnell. Detroit: Gale Group, 2001. Student Resources in Context. Web. 27 Mar. 2014.

"Warren Buffett." Gale Encyclopedia of U.S. Economic History. Ed. Thomas Carson and Mary

Bonk. Detroit: Gale, 1999. Student Resources in Context. Web. 27 Mar. 2014.

"Warren Buffett." Newsmakers. Detroit: Gale, 1995. Biography in Context. Web. 27 Mar. 2014.