Winston Churchill

by Jeongho from San Diego

(www.pinterest.com ())
(www.pinterest.com ())

"Never give in! Never give in! Never, never, never, never, never--in nothing great or small, large or petty--never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense"(Winston Churchill). These words were spoken by one of the greatest leader, who fought against Hitler and never gave up faith.  Churchill sustained the people's morale. He was born on November 30, 1874 in England and his father was Lord Randolph Churchill. He was in one of the most distinguished families is Great Britain. Churchill entered Parliament in 1901 at the age 26. During World War II, the war between the world and Germany, he had been a steady fountain of ideas to win the war, and he raised up morale of people. To be a hero, people must possess passion and leadership.Winston Churchill was so passionate of winning the war and because of his leadership qualities,and  his ability to raise the troops morale with speeches, he was considered as a hero in the eyes of many.

(claritynews.co.uk ())
(claritynews.co.uk ())

Winston Churchill is a hero for his great passion. During the War he faced many obstacles, to overcome, but he convinced everyone that they would win the War. "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat. . . . You ask, What is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in our word: victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival"(Lace). This was his speech to the people when they were in hardship. His speech raised up their morale, and gave hope and conviction to the people. In his speech he said that only victory can lead them to peace, he was desperate of defeating the Nazi for the people, and for himself. He had a really strong will in his heart to end the war. Many people doubted Churchill because he was not young as a prime minister. A prime minister should be someone who is young and possesses charisma, strength, and passion. Churchill seemed too old for people.  "At various points in the 1930's, Churchill, physically and politically, had looked like an old man. War, however, energized him. He was sixty-six when he became prime minister in May of 1940. His appearance no longer seemed merely overweight. He now had the heft of a powerful man...As prime minister in time of war, Churchill's independence was a signal strength. Although a Conservative, he had never been much of a party man, and his claim to be serving the whole nation was never better supported than during the war. Although he  opposed Communism and socialism, some of his wartime measures heralded the welfare state Great Britain would become after the war. Loath to grant independence to any part of the British Empire, his vigorous prosecution of the war inevitably strengthened the successful movement of a free India"(Rollyson). Even though he was an old man, he is humble, and passionate. His support was the best support during war. It is amazing how he never gave up to Hitler. Many obstacles were in front of him. But, none of them held him back, because he retained a strong will for defeating Hitler.

(www.iwm.org.uk ())
(www.iwm.org.uk ())

Churchill is a true hero because he has leadership to lead people. He showed his leadership by sustaining the morale of people with remarkable his speeches."Churchill was the only politician in the United Kingdom who could have sustained the popular morale through the years of German triumphs when victory seemed impossible. At the same time, however, Hastings disposes of the myth that the British people rallied behind the prime minister from 1940 onward. Churchill had to survive several political tests of his leadership in Parliament, especially in 1942"(Gould). He sustained heavy responsibility on both of his shoulders as a leader. He had the power and weapon to allow his people to move forward. That power and weapon was his voice. Also, during the war he had many genius ideas to finish this calamity. "Throughout the war, Churchill had been a steady fountain of ideas. 'He has a hundred ideas a day,' said Roosevelt, 'of which four are good.' Some, like the Mulberry harbors, the dropping of tinfoil from aircraft to confuse enemy radar, and an oil pipeline under the English Channel, were very good indeed. Other were not. But a key difference between Churchill and Hitler was that Churchill would, grudgingly, allow himself to be talked out of wilder schemes. No one dared say 'no' to Hitler, and Germany suffered for it"(Lace). His excellent ideas led people one step closer to victory. He respected people, and gave people the opportunity to refuse the ideas that he thought out, unlike Hitler. It is astonishing how he led people to justice. He respected people even though he was above them, and could have controlled them as a dictator.

His brilliant ideas, passion, and leadership brought world peace. Winston Churchill is true hero."One of Churchill's most severe critics, A.J.P. Taylor, wrote that despite many shortcomings, 'the fact remains that [Churchill] won the Second World War.' His leadership, his speeches, and his unconquerable willpower brought Britain back from the brink of defeat in 1940. No one else could done it. A Churchill was 'the man, and the only man we have for this task'"(Lace). He showed his passion, and leadership by the speech. He possessed everything that leader must to have. He is motivated person for many people, including me.While I was researching his history, I looked back my life. I was selfish, irresponsibility, and careless. I thought I want to be like him. Even though he was old man he did greater job than any of leader that existed during World War II. Leader doesn't have to be young. He is a great example, and the history for people.

Work cited.

Winston Churchill." Contemporary Heroes and Heroines. Vol. 2. Detroit: Gale, 1992. Biography in Context. Web. 4 May 2015.

Lace, William W. Winston Churchill. San Diego, CA: Lucent, 1995. Print.

Lace, William W. "Chamberlain Under Fire." The Importance of Winston Churchill. San Diego, CA: Lucent, 1995. 80-81. Print.

Gould, Lewis L. "Winston'S War." Magill'S Literary Annual 2011 (2011): 1-3. Literary Reference Center. Web. 7 May 2015.

Rollyson, Jr., Carl E. "Sir Winston Churchill." Dictionary Of World Biography: The 20Th Century (2000): 1-3. Literary Reference Center. Web. 7 May 2015.     

Keegan, John. "Winston Churchill.. (Cover Story)." Time 151.14 (1998): 114. History Reference Center. Web. 8 May 2015.

"Winston Churchill." Bio. A&E Television Networks, 2015. Web. 08 May 2015.