Winston Churchill

by Colleen from Fredericksburg

"You have enemies? Good. That means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life."

What defines a hero now? Is it the bravery that people show, their intelligence, or a combination of admirable features? Many people admire Winston Churchill. After all, he helped conclude World War II by making important decisions and believing in his country, the United Kingdom. I agree with most people when they say he was a hero for his political acts in ending the war. However, I choose to look more at Churchill's journey rather than the results. Winston Churchill is my hero due to his tenacious, determined, and fierce personality.

From 1940 to 1945 Churchill was a main factor in ending World War II. Something that was very important was the speeches that he gave. I believe that his speeches helped the morale of the people and the soldiers. One of his most famous speeches today, is referred to as the "We Shall Never Surrender" speech. Churchill states, "We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air. We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender!"

This speech was given to the House of Commons on June 4th 1940, after the evacuation of British and French armies in Dunkirk. Churchill made speeches to the people when he knew that they were going through hard times. He helped them to keep on and to keep their heads up. This is something to admire because it teaches others to not stop fighting for what they believe in. Winston Churchill's political journey was not easy. Prior to being Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, he served his country in the military. Being a major officer and leader in the army, he quickly began to pick up steam and rise to a greater power. Churchill was a humble man and when he joined the military he did not intend to climb the ranks, he wanted to see as much battle as possible and serve his country to the farthest extent.

Churchill faced many ups and downs in his political career. There were times where he was welcomed into Parliament and his opinion was widely appreciated and there were other times when people thought that he was not needed. These were hard times for Churchill; he wanted to help his country but had to understand that they did not need him. Every once in a while though, you have to listen to yourself.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." That is just what he did. Churchill was brought back into an important position when Britain declared war on Germany; the people needed his battle tactics and experienced opinion. Winston Churchill is my hero because he has taught me to never give up. He was committed to being the best person that he could be. I believe that Winston Churchill is an inspiring man, he was not perfect by any means but he did learn from his mistakes. The fact that he did keep going through hell makes him a hero. His journey to greatness was hard but he nonetheless achieved his final goal. That is why Winston Churchill is my hero.

Works Cited: 
Pollock, Lee. "The National Churchill Library and Center." Welcome to WinstonChurchill.org. The Churchill Centre, n.d. Web. 07 Jan. 2014.
"Winston Churchill." Hero File. N.p., 8 Oct. 2013. Web. 09 Jan. 2014.
Green, Michael. "Sir Winston Churchill: Biography: Chronological Summary." The Churchill Papers: Biography: Chronology. University of Cambridge, n.d. Web. 09 Jan. 2014.