Winston Churchill

by Zaynah from San Diego

(www.mediastorehouse.com ())
(www.mediastorehouse.com ())
Claimed as one of the greatest statesmen in Great Britain, Winston Churchill served the military for 60 years and took on the role of Prime Minister in the British Parliament. (Winston Churchill biography in context) Born to a wealthy family on November 30, 1874, Churchill was elected for the British Parliament in 1908 (Biography.com). Over the course of his life, he made quite a few accomplishments including the Mental Deficiency Act in 1913 and worked for the Morning Post, the daily newspaper. He published five books about the British Empire by the age of 26 (History.com). Churchill also led the country during World War I and drove them towards their win in World War II, 1940. (Winston Churchill biography in context) Winston Churchill is a hero because he stood up for what he believed in, was motivational during the toughest times, and was a leader of the United Kingdom and therefore, an inspiration to me and all. Winston Churchill showed heroism through his career by standing up for what he believed in. In 1922, Churchill's seat in the House of Commons was taken away, but "...he ran again several times before he was finally victorious in late 1924, this time with backing from the Conservatives, who again embraced him as a member."(Winston Churchill) Churchill's perseverance led him to get the position he thought was right for him. He stood up for what he believed in by maintaining a seat in the House of Commons and making decisions to benefit the country. It took him several times, but he kept on trying until he got the position. Later, the members admired his determination and allowed him the seat. While enduring through his career, Churchill also set morals for himself he believed would get him and others far in life. For example, "he saw history as a question of morality, a struggle between right and wrong, between freedom and tyranny. Its purpose was to teach by example, especially by the examples of great leaders and by the examples of war."(Overview of Winston) Churchill's beliefs had a big impact on his life and reflected the way he acted and the choices he made. By standing up for what he believed in, Churchill accomplished things in life such as inspiring others to be great leaders like himself. Winston Churchill's ability to have courage and stand up for what he believed in greatly impacted him and those around him in a positive way.
(www.dailymail.co.uk ())
(www.dailymail.co.uk ())
During a dark and depressing time, Churchill also continued to motivate people throughout World War II. Being a part of the British Parliament and a leader of the army, he accepted it as his duty to persuade them to do their best in war. "Though the future looked grim, Churchill did all he could to keep British spirits high. He gave stirring speeches in Parliament and on the radio." (History.com Staff) Although it was a bloody battle, Churchill tried hard to encourage the British. This led to the perseverance needed for the final push in the battle against Germany. It also caused them to be admired by other countries. Up to this day, people need encouragement to achieve something and Churchill was the start of it. Along with remembering him as motivational, history remembers Churchill's speeches that were "'...a mixture of old-fashioned rhetoric and homespun humor, struck the right note and made him uniquely popular.'" (Overview of Winston Churchill). A lot of Churchill's fame came from the many inspirational speeches he presented to Great Britain. Anybody can motivate another person, but it takes a true hero to stand up in front of thousands and speak from the heart, which was exactly what Churchill did. Churchill understood the importance of motivation, and with that belief, he was a hero to Great Britain. Churchill is considered a British icon because of his leadership skills that led the country to greatness. In addition to his motivational aspects, "...Churchill presided over every aspect of the war effort, holding direct control over the formulation of policy and the conduct of military operations."(Winston Churchill). Overall, Winston Churchill was a leader when it came to everything, from the military operations to his troops. That gave Britain an opportunity to forge through the war with a great leader in front of them that gave direction and purpose. With leadership comes great responsibility, and Churchill showed that in the words he used. "'...the greater element in Churchill's power was his use of language as a weapon.'"(Overview of Winston Churchill) What made Churchill a leader was how he communicated with others. While his aura was powerful, his words were kind and strategical. He had control over his troops and so many others in Great Britain. He was also persuasive through his leadership, which was a big advantage. Possibly the greatest thing Churchill had ever done was guiding Great Britain to victory through his leadership. Winston Churchill's ability to stand up for what he believed in, motivation, and leadership skills inspire many people across the world today, including myself. He pushed many people to keep on going no matter how hard it was. He showed that he himself didn't have much to offer, but if they worked together as a whole they would accomplish so much more. Churchill's faults were overlooked because of how much he inspired citizens through his motivational spirit and leadership. Others aspire to be like him in terms of leading other people to their highest endeavors. Not only did he inspire people to perform their best, Churchill also inspired the defiance that helped them win the war. He knew that with persistence they would defeat the Germans. Winston Churchill was so inspirational he was given the title of "savior of the country" (Overview of Winston Churchill). Concluded another writer for Time magazine: "If Churchill was sometimes wrong, on the great issues of his times he was most often right. History will forgive his faults; it can never forget the indomitable, imperturbable spirit that swept the people to greatness." (Winston Churchill)

"Winston Churchill." Contemporary Heroes and Heroines. Vol. 2. Detroit: Gale, 1992.

Biography in Context. Web. 27 Jan. 2016.

"Winston Churchill Biography." Bio.com. Ed. Biography.com Editors. A&E Networks

Television. Web. 03 Feb. 2016.

History.com Staff. "Winston S. Churchill." History.com. A&E Television Networks, 2009. Web.

03 Feb. 2016.

"Winston Churchill." American Decades. Ed. Judith S. Baughman, et al. Detroit: Gale, 1998.

Student Resources in Context. Web. 3 Feb. 2016.

"Overview of Winston (Leonard Spencer) Churchill." DISCovering Authors. Detroit: Gale, 2003.

Research in Context. Web. 3 Feb. 2016.