Winston Churchill

by Seamus from Los Angeles

It was 1940 in the midst of World War II and Britain had a new prime minister, his name was Winston Churchill. Neville Chamberlain had resigned, prompting Churchill to take the reins. From soldier to Prime Minister. He would go on to change history forever.

Winston Churchill was born on November 30, 1874 into the Spencer Family. In his early years he lived in Dublin, Ireland when his grandfather was appointed viceroy. Winston was not interested in learning and his parents usually were not there to help him and so he leaned on Elizabeth Anne Everest who was his nanny. Winston had poor academics and switched schools three times. Yet his academic lookout would change once he enrolled in Royal Military College at Sandhurst.

Winston applied for cavalry because the academic standards were lower and he did not have to take mathematics, which he struggled in. Winston graduated 8th out of 115 students. To be in the cavalry you have to be able to ride a horse. Once Winston learned how to ride a horse he developed a love for polo. When he served in India he led his regiment to many polo championships. After that he served as a renowned war correspondent. When he served as one in the Boer War on his train ride in his train was attacked and he helped fend off attackers. Once safe he risked his life to sneak through Johannesburg to pass some information through. On his train ride back his train was attacked again. So Winston's trip to South Africa started and ended with a train attack.

Statue of Winston Churchill at Parliament Square (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_Churchill#Pol ())

When he returned to the UK he ran for the Oldham seat at the parliament. He was successful and he was part of the parliament. After switching political parties mid meeting, a member of his political party was elected prime minister he served as the under-secertary for the state for the colonies. After rising up political ranks he became pretty much second in line for the Prime Minister position. In 1940, the Prime Minister resigned and Winston was chosen for the position. Winston made many great speeches and became great friends with the first family. This friendship helped the allies win the war.

Winston died on January 24, 1965 after serving two terms as Prime Minister and one incredible story. Over 350 million people watched his funeral and only one country did not send a representative. He is buried at Saint Martin's Church, Blandon UK. Winston achieved many awards, for example he was knighted but, he always will be remembered for being a Prime Minister but he should be remembered as a great man.