Welles Remy Crowther

by Maddie from Cincinnati

Welles Crowther (www.crowthertrust.org))

Have you ever wondered what is a hero? What makes someone a hero? What do heroes do? Welles Crowther was a hero he saved others lives, he gave up his life, and he helped those that were hurt. Welles always carried his red bandanna- given to him by his father -with him. Welles Crowther was a equities trader that worked in the South Tower of the World Trade Center, Welles had dreamed of being a firefighter since he was a little boy. So when the first plane struck his tower on September 11th he jumped into action.

Welles Crowther sacrificed his life to save others. He "helped to save as many as 12 lives." (WDNY) Even though Welles died that day, his father submitted a half filled out application to FDNY and Welles was accepted into his dream job. Welles Crowther is a hero. On that day when the towers collapsed he could have saved himself instead he decided to save as many others as possible.

The Red Bandana
The Red Bandana

Welles helped the weak and hurt. Welles "carried one woman down 17 flights of stairs" (opposing views) and then went back to help more people. He was a hero because he made a choice he could have just left after he saved the woman instead he went back up to search for more survivors. Which may have cost him his life, but he gave it up willingly.

A hero is someone who stands up for others and does what's right. They take care of those who are weak and help them become strong. A hero risks his/her life for others. A hero is kind, generous, caring, likable, selfless, and more. A hero is an ordinary person whose actions are extraordinary. Welles Crowther is a hero because he gave up his life to save others. Survivors remembered Welles as "a man in a red bandana" leading the way, guiding them to safety" (ABC news)

Works Cited Inc., Hearst Television. "9/11 Heroism of 'Man in the Red Bandanna' Detailed in New Book." WCVB. WCVB, 11 Nov. 2016. Web. 04 Jan. 2017. "The Man In The Red Bandana Remembered 14 Years After 9/11." Opposing Views. N.p., 11 Sept. 2015. Web. 04 Jan. 2017. News, Abc. "9/11 Heroism of 'Man in the Red Bandanna' Detailed in New Book by Tom Rinaldi." ABC News. ABC News Network, n.d. Web. 04 Jan. 2017.

Heroism of the man in the red bandana - Welles Crowther story is told.
The man in the red bandana - Survivors of 9/11 remember Welles Crowther