Walt Disney

by Danny from San Diego

Walt Disney
Walt Disney (Google Images)
Walt Disney (Google Images)

“At the time of his death in 1966, Disney’s output amounted to 21 full length animated films, 493 short subjects, 47 live action features, 330 Mickey Mouse Club television programs, and 78 half-hour Zorro television adventures” (DESCovering Biology.) Walt Disney was a creative, hard working man that fulfilled all of his dreams in his 65 years of life. He was born in 1901 and died in 1966. Disney was the creator of Mickey Mouse, and also the maker of the first colored cartoon. He started producing movies and cartoons for television in 1954. Disney also constructed one of the most fun and entertaining places in the world, Disneyland. A hero has good character traits and strives to give back to his community. Walt Disney is a man who fits this description because he followed his dreams of helping those less fortunate.

Walt Disney helped out people when they needed it the most so that they could get a little more out of the life they have. This quote shows how Disney helped some children during difficult times. “In Disney’s “Year Of A Million Dreams” Walt Disney World resort is making very special dreams come true for five children with life threatening medical conditions” (Kelly Theo). This shows Walt Disney’s heroic intentions of helping five kids whose lives might be cut short. To make one of their dreams come true would mean so much to them. Also, the Disney foundation receives no money whatsoever from this philanthropic organization. In fact, Disney loses money from the expenses of this charity just for the sake of the children.

Walt Disney employed a lot of people during his life and his corporation still continues to do so now after his death. Lillian Bonds in particular, was a young girl he once employed whom he later married. “Walt had an employee named Lillian Bonds who he married on July 13, 1925. They had two daughters together. The older daughter they named Diane. When she was older she married a Disney employee also, named Ron Miller, former president and chief executive officer of Walt Disney Productions. They had seven children together. The younger daughter Sharon Disney Lund, became a Disney employee herself, serving on the Board of Directors” (Kelly Theo). Walt Disney provided jobs to millions of people. There would have been a lot of jobless people in the United States if it wasn’t for the Disney Corporation. Walt Disney was a giving man who provided and improved quality of life to children with terminal diseases. Through Disney’s many endeavors, the Disney Corporation has created millions of jobs.

Disney's creations (Google Images)
Disney's creations (Google Images)

Walt Disney was an inspiration to all. This quote shows how and why Disneyland was fashioned to be more than just a money making business enterprise. “Disneyland is a work of love. We didn’t go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money” (Kelly Theo). Walt Disney was a visionary to everyone. He wasn’t thinking of money when he created Disneyland. He wanted a place where people could get away and have a wonderful time making lasting memories with their families. In addition, this quote is so powerful and shows how Walt Disney persevered turning his dream into a lifelong career. “In 1923, Walt Disney left Kansas City for Hollywood with nothing but a few drawing materials, $40 in his pocket, and a completed animated live-action film” (Kelly Theo). Disney was a risk taker who had the courage of a hero and truly believed in his abilities as an artist. When you have both guts and the determination to see your ideas through, you can work wonders. Disney showed how sometimes in life you just have to go out there, follow your dreams, and take a stab at something and it just might work.

What made Walt Disney a hero was his exemplary resolve to pursue his dreams, help other people in need, and his gift of Disneyland to the children of the world. He inspired many around the globe to follow their dreams at a very young age and to let nothing deter them. Disney is not just a hero to you and me but to all of the people of the world. Walt Disney was a true visionary and a man of deep conviction. His love of children is only surpassed by the sheer grandeur of Disneylands around the world.

Disney with his life long work (Google Images)

Works Consulted

"Disney, Walt." World Book Discover. World Book, 2010. Web. 21 May 2010.

"Disney, Walt (1901-1966)." DISCovering Biography. Online ed. Detroit: Gale, 2003.

Student Resource Center - Gold. Gale. DEL NORTE HIGH SCHOOL. 21 May. 2010

"Walt Disney Company." World Book Discover. World Book, 2010. Web. 21 May 2010. Theo, Kelly. “The Life of Walt Disney.” Essortment. Pagewise, 2002. Web. 14 May 2010.