W.E.B. Du Bois

by D'Nique from Brooklyn

To me a hero means someone who helps their fellow man just because it's the right thing to do; they help but not for the recognition. That is why my hero is William Edward Burghardt "W.E.B." Du Bois- world famous activist and writer. He is most well-known for helping co-found the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, better known as the NAACP. He is definitely someone I look up to because he was an amazing leader.

I think W.E.B. should be celebrated and praised for his work because he is a highly accomplished individual. He "was an American sociologist, historian, civil rights activist, Pan-Africanist, author, and editor" (Americaslibrary.gov). Du Bois helped co-found the NAACP in 1909. The NAACP was one of the major foundations at the time that helped fight for African Americans, by taking on many court cases no one else wanted to help with.

Du Bois has affected black culture positively in many lasting ways. As mentioned previously he co-founded the NAACP, which helped fight for minorities. The NAACP played a major role during the civil rights movement. He worked as an editor for the NAACP and founded a magazine called "The Crisis". It was a magazine of opinions about the way the world acted toward colored people, thus giving black people a voice during a time that they were most discriminated against. This magazine received many negative reactions from white people who did not care for blacks at that time. Many wanted him to stop these editorials. He refused and continued his work, which influenced many African Americans. This is why he is and always will be celebrated during Black History Month.

W.E.B. was so outstanding with his many acts in history. He was so influential that he is still being taught about in many schools curriculum "an important Du Bois editorial from 1911 helped initiate a nationwide push to induce the Federal government to outlaw lynching" (Wikipedia.org). He helped African American culture by changing the way many thought about black people and the way we were treated. Even though people did not like African Americans they had to show them respect.

Throughout history many Americans (and some non-Americans) have affected the world in some really positive ways. W.E.B. was a really extraordinary writer, activist, and overall person. He has taught us all a lot, not only about activism but also how to be a great person people can aspire to be like. This is why William Edward Burghardt "W.E.B." Du Bois is my hero. Maybe you might also think about being someone others can aspire to be like.

unknown. "W.E.B Du Bois." [Online] Available http://www.americaslibrary.gov/aa/dubois/aa_dubois_subj.html.

unknown. "W.E.B Du Bois." [Online] Available http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._E._B._Du_Bois.