Wyclef Jean

by Isabela from Cali, Colombia

“A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.”Joseph Campbell quotes

In our English class we are learning about the characteristics of heroes. In this text you’re going to find about; who is my hero, his difficulties during his life, why he is my hero and supporting reasons about this, political campaigns to help his country and finally a concluding paragraph about this interesting topic.

In this picture Wyclef  is helping people affect (http://idolator.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/wyclef1.jpg)
In this picture Wyclef is helping people affect (http://idolator.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/wyclef1.jpg)

My hero’s name; Nelust Wyclef Jean but he is more known as Wyclef Jean. He was born in Haiti, Croix-des-Bouquets on October 17th 1969. Wyclef is a Haitian musician, record producer and politician, most people in this country know him as the singer that sang with Shakira in the world cup of 2006. He is very famous in the United States and in Central America he is known as one of the best R&B and Reggae singer. But above singing Nelust is a social activist of Haiti.

Nelust has had a lot of difficulties in his life. He was born in Haiti but his family moved to New York, USA. His family decided to do these changes because in Haiti they didn’t have many resources to support themselves economically. Jean studied first in a Nazarene Collage because his father was a Nazarene pastor but they pulled Wyclef out from that college and he entered in a Musical school in Boston. Wyclef’s family always supported him with his talent but at the beginning of his career he had many economical problems.

This singer always wants to help the community and that’s the reason why he why he is my hero. He began by making a foundation name ˝Yéle Foundationˮ. He made this foundation in 2005, the main goal of the foundation is to provide scholarships to 3,600 Children in Haiti. Wyclef started making this foundation because when he was a kid his family had many difficulties in paying a school so he wanted that no other children suffer this situation. Above Wyclef there are other companies supporting in an economical way this foundation such as; Comcel that is a telecommunication located in Costa Rica, Florida discount that is a company that many voluntary people help and others. In Yéle foundation they also help children to have the opportunity to express his or her talent, they also organize some World Food Programs; this program was supporting by Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt and Wyclef Jean. Wyclef is a very intelligent person because with his talent he also starts helping his community. When he is producing songs he is always inspiring in his country taking into account good aspects, that’s the reason he always wants that other people receive positives messages. In April he started producing with other important singers a new album name ˝Seven Beautiful Songs, from Hope for Haiti. The tittles of these songs they have very special meaning, like always been brave in the hard moments and always try to overcome difficulties. The main reasons of these songs were to collect money for the community but also to give a supporting message for Haiti.

After Haiti’s earthquake Wyclef started making some political campaigns to help this country. In August 5th of this year Haiti Provisional Electoral Council decided to make new Presidential elections. Wyclef during all his life he was interested about politicians works so he found out that was going to be an excellent opportunity to help his country in a deeper way. Wyclef started making the presidential campaign exactly that day, immediately the entire world was impressed about the news. During a time the electoral Council decided to refuse the idea about Wyclef being a candidate for the presidential elections, as a good citizen he decided to respect their opinions and keep going with his wonderful ideas to improve his country in a different way.

Wyclef and many other people are the ones that we need in this wonderful world. Wyclef is an example for my daily life because he likes using his talent to help many other people and that is why a hero means helping other people but at the same time inspiring other people to do the same. This project for me was very interesting because I learned so many things, that it doesn’t matter how much money we have but we always can help others.