Winifred Newell Parr

by Bonnie

My modern day hero is my grandmother, who we called Mimom. I knew her from birth to age five, when she died. Her maiden name was Winnifred Newell Turner, and after she married her last name became Parr. She grew up in what is now the Hamilton Turner Inn, at that time it was the Hamilton Turner House. The majority of the time I knew her she was in a nursing home. Her birthday was May 7,1927 and she died in 2006 at age seventy-nine. If she were still alive she would be eighty-four years old. She was an extremely loving lady who loved to paint and sketch and was incredible at it. She had an enormous sweet tooth and especially adored chocolate, though she did not enjoy cooking or baking. She also loved to read and was an Upper School English teacher.

Mimom showed bravery when she was ill and injured in the nursing home yet always greeted me with a loving smile making me think that nothing could ever go wrong. She showed strength during her husband's three heart attacks. Also, mom has told me that whenever mom or dad got harmed or became ill she would nurse them, or, if needed take them to the hospital or doctor. In this way she showed caring all of the time. She showed strength, bravery, and caring nearly every day.

Mimom showed incredible bravery, and strength like the ancient Greeks, but in different ways. She showed bravery by taking on hardships with a smile, and she showed strength by hiding anything but happiness from me in times of trouble. Also, she showed caring that ancient Greek heroes didn't. Mimom did not show these valuable traits by slaying dragons but by being kind. She may not have been incredibly strong like Heracles but she's still my heroine.