Winnie Bea Rodriguez

by Joseph from Wyandanch, New York

My hero is my mother. My mother’s birth name was Winnie Bea Young. Her mother’s name was Barbra Johnson but my mom was raised by her grandmother who was named Winnie Alberta. They lived in Virginia Beach until she was older. When she was an adult she went back to Brooklyn to live. My mom lived on Ashford Street where she lived when she was a kid. Then she fell in love with Joseph Allen Rodriguez (who is my father) and they got married. Then they had my brothers, James, Allen, Tony, me, and then Darnell. In 1990 we adopted Chris. I also have an adopted sister, Stephanie.

My mom had her own daycare for a few years. People would bring their kids over while they went to work and my mom would take care of them. She was also working for the school district’s bus company. My mom went to college as a grown up. She still drives a school bus but she also works at BOCES as a teacher’s aide.

The reason why she is my hero is because she is my mother and she always takes care of all of her kids and everyone elses' kids. A mother like that should be considered a hero because she’s a compassionate woman and she loves and takes care of others. She works two jobs and still pays bills and provides for our needs and wants.