Poets

William Shakespeare

by Ben from Alabama

William Shakespeare (Alabama Virtual Library)

William Shakespeare (1564-1616) lived in England. He had a brother named John and a sister named Mary. He went to Oxford University. He married Anne Hathaway.

Shakespeare was a great actor. He was in the King’s company. His favorite play was “As you like it.” After 1603, he didn’t act as much. Instead, Shakespeare wrote 37 plays in 20 years. Some of his plays were “A Midsummer Nights Dream,” “The Taming of the Shrew,” “Othello,” and “Cymbeline.” He also wrote sonnets in South Hampton. Some of his sonnets were inspired by pictures. He wrote the sonnets by the mood he was feeling at that time: love, hate, sadness, or joy. The sonnets are not as famous as his plays.

He also had theatres called Black Friars and the Globe Theatre. He had royal plays in his theatre. He got profits from the Globe Theatre, so he was very wealthy.

William Shakespeare also wrote sonnets in south Hampton. Some of his sonnets were inspired by pictures. He wrote the sonnets by the mood he was feeling at that time: love, hate, sadness, or joy. The sonnets are not as famous as his plays.

He’s remembered today for all of his plays and sonnets. He was praised by Francis Meres for some of his plays. He and some of his fellow partners were honored by King James I because of his play “Grooms of the King’s Chamber.”