Walter Winchell

by Kayla from Roxboro

Walter Winchell
Walter Winchell

My definition of a hero is someone who helps others. A hero is a person that is brave in any situation, but also generous and kind. They are willing to give something up for the greater good. Heroes are a great influence on others. That is my definition of a hero.

Walter Winchell was born Walter Weinschel April 7, 1897 in New York City, New York. He grew up in extreme poverty and was forced to go to work at an early age. At thirteen he quit school and started a Vaudeville show with friends. This ended up being the ticket to his ultimate career. After a decade on Vaudeville, he landed a job with a tabloid newspaper where he changed his name to Walter Winchell and invented the gossip column. In 1932, he started a Sunday radio broadcast which soon had a listening audience of over 50 million.

"Good morning, Mr. and Mrs. North and South America and all the ships at sea...let's go to the press!" This was Walter's distinctive greeting for the beginning of every show. Famous words that were used when his good friend, Damon Runyon, died from cancer in 1946. Walter went on his show and appealed to "Mr. and Mrs. America" for contributions to help fight cancer. The response was so overwhelming, that he was able to establish the "Damon Runyon Cancer Memorial Fund."

Walter Winchell and his dear friend Damon Runyon

The Damon Runyon Cancer Memorial Fund is now called the Damon Runyon cancer Research Foundation. 100% of all proceeds go to funding the best and brightest scientists across the nation with the mission of finding new ways to prevent, diagnose and treat all forms of cancer. Eleven Damon Runyon scientists have received the Nobel Prize and many have made important discoveries that have led, and are continuing to lead, to more ways to save the lives of those with cancer.

Walter Winchell is my hero because my grandfather had lung cancer. If he had not started this foundation, my grandfather may not have been able to receive the treatments that he did that both extended his life and improved the quality of his life. The foundation has helped people by funding research to find treatments for all different types of cancer. Some of the cancers they are trying to find a cure for are colon, lung, prostate and throat cancers. I can only hope that they find a cure in my lifetime.

Even after Walter Winchell's death in 1946, also to cancer, his legacy lives on. Scientists are still hard at work trying to find new treatments, and eventually cures, for all types of cancer. They have raised over 200 million dollars with the help of sponsors, just like you and me. Everyday they are closer to finding a cure so that no one else has to go through the pain of losing a loved one to cancer. I know how it feels.