Wahidullah Abed

by Ali Abed from Woodland Hills

My hero is Wahid Abed

My hero is my father, Wahid Abed. Wahid was born in 1961 in Kabul, Afghanistan. Wahid was in the Afghan military and his father was the general of the military. Wahid has 3 brothers and 1 sister. Wahid went to school in Afghanistan. Wahid came to America when he was in his twenties.

One day in Kabul, Afghanistan, Wahid was walking back from school with his little brother Hamid. They decided to take a short cut through the woods. They were in the middle of the woods when they both spotted smoke. Wahid told Hamid to go get help. Wahid was running as fast as he could to the smoke. When he reached the smoke he saw a little house on fire. Wahid didn’t know if he should go in to check if anyone was in there. Wahid just waited for Hamid to come back.

Kabul, Afghanistan (Yahoo images)
Kabul, Afghanistan (Yahoo images)

Hamid was at the police station and told them there's a house on fire in the woods and they thought it was a joke. Hamid kept telling them, “It is not a joke, the house is burning down right now and there might be people in it.” The men took it seriously and rushed out and headed to the fire. They couldn’t find their way through the woods.

Wahid heard the sirens so he knew they were on their way. The police got lost in the woods. He didn’t want to wait any longer so he ran in the house and he saw no one. He was running out and he passed by the kitchen. He took a quick look and he saw an old man on the floor by the sink. He ran in the kitchen and picked up the old man. When Wahid walked out he saw the police. The old man had burns all over his body and was rushed to the nearest hospital.

Afghanistan Flag  (Yahoo images)
Afghanistan Flag (Yahoo images)

The next day Wahid went to the hospital and visited the old man. When he walked into the room he saw four little girls and three grown men. The man introduced the people in the room. He had three sons and four granddaughters. For the next month everyone was talking about Wahid. Everyday Wahid and his brother would take the shortcut and visit the old man. The man everyday would tell Wahid how brave he was for running into the house. Wahid was very brave for going into the burning house.

Wahid is my father. He is my hero because he is very brave and is not afraid of anything. When I heard this story I couldn't believe it. I felt real bad for the old man, because he was unconsious in the kitchen floor. What Wahid did was really brave.

About Afghanistan
Afghanistan - Cultural Profile