Andrew Lloyd Webber

by Suriani from Jakarta

Andrew Lloyd Webber
Andrew Lloyd Webber

"Andrew Lloyd Webber is one of the most successful composers in musical theater today. He was born on March 22, 1948, in London, England. His father, William Lloyd Webber, was a composer and music scholar who taught at the Royal College of Music in London. Andrew’s mother, Jean Johnstone Lloyd Webber, was a piano teacher.In 1964, Andrew Lloyd Webber went to Oxford University to study music. In 1965, though, he met lyricist Tim Rice and dropped out of school to compose musicals. At first Lloyd Webber and Rice wrote a few pop songs and one unsuccessful musical."

He and Tom Rice gained their first success in Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat when Andrew was only nineteen. I had seen this film and it was a good film. He gained his next success with Jesus Christ Superstar. It told about Jesus Christ from Christian’s Bible, but there are many differences that Andrew made. Another musical, that was born from Andrew’s hand was Evita. It was based on the true story of Eva Peron of Argentina. Evita was quite successful and was made into a 1996 movie starring Madonna. Next, his biggest hit, Cats. It is a great first musical for students, because of its simple plot, interesting costumes, and its set — a giant junkyard. Then he wrote The Phantom of the Opera in 1986 with Charles Hart and Richard Stilgoe. It was another big success.

His awards include seven Tonys, three Grammys, six Oliviers, a Golden Globe, an Oscar, an International Emmy, the Praemium Imperiale and the Richard Rodgers award for Excellence in Musical Theatre. Several of his songs were hits such as "I Don't Know How to Love Him" from Jesus Christ Superstar, "Don't Cry For Me, Argentina" from Evita, "Memory" from Cats, and "The Music of the Night" from The Phantom of the Opera

I chose him as my hero, because I like his musicals and his songs. I admire him because he can make many people in the world amazed with his creative and brilliant ideas. Not all of his works succeed. But he never gets too tired to make new musicals and put his style in all of his works.

Andrew Lloyd Webber - Making Music