Wilbur and Orville Wright

by Adam from Williamsville

The Wright brothers were brilliant scientists. They helped us to understand aeronautics much better. They are also remembered for their mind, hard work, and effort. If it weren't for them, it would be very hard to get from one place to another place that's much farther away.

The Wrights had a good childhood that was also a little rough. They went to a nice school and had a very nice and caring mother and father. Wilbur and Orville had a total of 7 children in their family. The 2 oldest were boys named Reuchlin and Lorin which were always close friends. The 3rd and 4th children were twins but sadly, they both died within months. Wilbur was the middle child who became close friends with the next 2 children named Orville and then Katharine. Their father was a bishop and the editor the the church paper and a bishop and their mother was a housewife. Wilbur and Orville had a quick interest in mechanical toys when they were very young. Sadly, in 1883, their mother developed tuberculosis and Wilbur developed a heart disorder and stomach problems. This was very sad for the rest of the family. Orville stepped out of school for 6 months helping them recover everything was back to normal after that. Wilbur and Orville went to Yale High School. The Wrights had a very nice childhood with a few bad things along the way.

The Wrights had many major and minor problems on their way to successful aircraft. One of those major problems was working with completely wrong information about air pressure. Because of that, they had to do a bunch of research to correct them and get the correct information. They also had to find a way to make the wings make the plane turn. That was really hard for them because the wings that they built were completely stiff. One more thing they had to do was find a way to control the front of the airplane so it didn't dive into the ground. They had to find a motor that was newer so it had enough power. They also needed to be light so it could fly in the air. Another thing that was really hard for them was to create the right kind of propellers. The one that were already made always went against the wind instead of catching the wind. Many of these problems were a pretty big deal and without the brains of the Wright brothers, they would have never been close to inventing the successful aircraft that many people fly today.

The Wrights had many accomplishments and contributions. The Wrights made it much easier people and goods to get around. They also invented the first ever lightweight engine that generated 12 horse power. They also did lots of research to create all new correct tables of air pressure. Another thing they did was come up with idea of wing warping for lateral control. They also created a whole new kind of propeller that made a huge difference while flying. Wilbur was also the first ever person the write the Smithsonian Institution. As you can see, the Wrights had many successful accomplishments during their time.

The Wright brothers had many honors and recognition. Orville completed the first ever powered, sustained, and controlled flight on December 17, 1903. He also set the world's soaring record which lasted 10 years after that. The Wright III was also built and was the first practical airplane. A patent was also given to the Wrights so mood could steel their idea of a heavier-than-air-flight. The Wrights signed a contract with the U.S. Signal Corps who officially accept the Wright Flyer. It was an honor for Orville to be appointed a member of the N.A.C.A.. It was also a honor for the Wrights to have their Wright Flyer shipped to England. They were really recognized when the they had their memorial dedicated to Kill Devil Hills after they passed away. As you can see, the Wrights had lots of great and Honorable recognition.

Wilbur and Orville Wright had many, many good character traits. First, they are both really good workers. They worked their hardest in school and worked even harder to keep a business going and to take care of each other. They also went above and beyond while coming up with the airplane. Next, Orville and Wilbur were very inventive. When they were young, their father got them toy helicopter that got them very interested in flying. Then they came up with the idea of building a machine that could allow people to fly. Lastly, they both were also very persistent. I know they are persistent because, after they failed almost all of their attempts, they kept on going and trying. Finally they got it right and all of their persistence payed off. (They failed about 250 out of the 300 attempts to fly the airplane). All of these traits are very, very good to have with someone as a good person.

The Wright brothers made a huge change in what happens today and in the future. Their invention is getting better as people keep on working to improve it. The Wright brothers were right. If something is hard, don't give up or else you won't ever accomplish anything in your life.