Wright Brothers

by Mason from Pleasant Hill

The brothers sitting in one of their planes (Google)

Two of the first people to invent and fly the air plane were Orville and Wilbur Wright. Orville Wright was born on August 19, 1871 at Dayton Ohio. Orville died on May 30, 1912. Wilbur Wright was born April 16, 1867 on a small farm in Millville Indiana died on October 10, 1947 of a heart attack. Their dream was to fly.

In the 1900,the brothers wanted to make first try at making an airplane. The location that they wanted to go to was Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The first plane that they made was like a giant kite it could glide up to 15 feet. They lost control of it, when they put up a second time it crashed and broke the wooden frames. Then the brothers decided to go a place called Kill Devil Hills. The glider that they used there flew 300-400 feet those flights had lasted around 15 seconds.

In the year 1901,the brothers created a new plane "the biggest plane they ever built." Unlike the other planes how the pilot controlled the plane with his feet he controlled it with his hips. They then returned to North Carolina on July 10,1901. At the campsite they were staying in they built a shed to cover the glider. That protected the glider from the rain.

The brothers flying one of their planes  (google)
The brothers flying one of their planes (google)

In 1902, the brothers decided to rely on what they knew. The glider that they made was the biggest out of all the others. On September 19, 1902 the plane was ready to be tested. The place that they tested at was Kill Devil Hills. Some of their best flights went up to 500 feet. They installed a new system that made it so when you move the wings the tail would move to.

Brothers flying another plane (google)
Brothers flying another plane (google)

The Wright Brothers achieved their life long goal to make an air plane. A hero to me is someone who never gives up and still does what they wanted to do even though everyone says they can't and that's just what the brothers did. I picked the Wright brothers as my hero's because they never gave up and they revolutionized the way of traveling. I have always liked flying in a plane. And without the Wright brothers not many people could go to different continents.