Yogi Berra

by Freddy from Lebanon

"You can observe a lot by just watching."

My hero is Lawrence Peter Berra (Yogi Berra) was a catcher for the New York Yankees. He was born on May 12, 1925 in St. Louis, Illinois. He played baseball pretty much all his life, he was also in the Navy for three years then returned back to baseball in 1945. Yogi played for the New York Yankees from (1946-1963), he lead them to fourteen World Series and won ten of them.

Yogi Berra is easily one of the best baseball players ever. He has won most valuable player in 1951,54,55, won the Slocum award in 1967, and was inducted in the Hall of Fame in 1972. Yogi has made people love him for his love and passion for the game. He has always put himself first his family, friends, and teammates.

Yogi Berra was born in St. Louis which is an Italian neighborhood and is called "The Hill". Yogi's father and mother were Italian immigrants, they came through Ellis Island. He grew up on Elizabeth avenue, with a childhood friend. When he was drafted onto the New York Yankees he moved to Montclair, New Jersey. He still lives in Montclair, New Jersey today,Yogi Berra is still alive at 87 years old, He lived from 1925-present.

My hero is Lawrence Peter Berra (Yogi Berra) because I love his will to bravery, never give up, and his competitiveness. Yogi's bravery is incredible he was in the U.S Navy for three years before returning to back to baseball. I admire his will to never give up, even if he was winning or losing he never quits, Yogi played his heart out every game he played in his career. Yogi was a very competitive man, hated to lose more than he liked to win.

The My Hero Project - Where Yogi Berra Lives
The My Hero Project - For most of my information
The My Hero Project - Yogi Quotes