Yolanda M. Dias

by Sarah from Newark

Mothers tend to be a child's hero, but to me my mom is the greatest of them all.
This is the party that my mom threw for me at the (This is from my house.)

Everybody has a hero, whether it be a firefighter, policeman, a cook, my hero is my mom. My mom is a wonderful person. She thinks about others and really cares about people. She is independent, and doesn’t give into peer pressure, but today most people can't do that. They think about what their friend will be doing, whether it’s bad or good. My mom is a leader and not a follower. She thinks of a goal and accomplishes it without even trying. She is a motivator and a thinker. She always tries to do things first before she has to ask someone for help.

A few times my mom has done this and she is still doing it today. Whenever she notices a person walking with a baby or is old and crippled she gives them a ride in the blazing sun or in the shivering cold. Then she takes them to their house or wherever they’re going. Another time my mom saw someone needing help at the store. They were behind on packaging their items; because of the rushing of the packager she had a few ripped bags that had fallen on the floor. My mom comes around the corner and just starts helping her out. They finish and she says "thank you." My mom replies with "just being a human". Later that day the person asks why did you help me, she says, because I couldn’t just walk away, that’s not me.

This here is my mom's graduation from college (This picture is from home)

My mom is a motivator. One day I needed help with this project, in sixth grade. It was about the climates, I thought I was finished, but then it all fell apart. I should have been mad with my project but I wasn’t. I was surprisingly happy, only because of my mom. She gave me some ideas and helped me put those ideas to work. I ended up with an A+ on the project. My brother has soccer games every Saturday or Sunday. He practices with himself, but asks our mom if she could play with him. Mom of course says yes even if she doesn’t feel that well. Just our mom playing with my brother is a lot more fun than playing at a soccer game. She even plays with our next door neighbor Amahya, who is five.

My mom is a lover of all living animals. All of our animals are rescued by my mom and are doing very well. We have Ben that is a Australian shepherd, who came from India and was a circus dog who was tortured. He died a week ago at the age of eighteen. Sadie is a Boxer, who was chained to the ground in a backyard and wouldn't be let in the house. She is now seven. Myra is a miniature dachshund that was in a home of a type of puppy mill, she is also seven. T we don't know what type of cat she is, but was abandoned by her mother at just a few hours old, she is eight now. Melody is a tortoiseshell and we found her on the Furry Friends Rescue website, she is a year and five months. Frankie a guinea pig we got him from a lady in Redwood City who couldn't care for him anymore. He is about two years old. Chuck is a rabbit who the owner didn't want to care for, he is about two years old. Marcie and Sir are cockatiels and were found in the hot weather outside with no shade (they can't handle heat). They are all trained, people friendly, very happy and are loved, thanks to my mom. She also cares for the mentally retarded people and loves to help them even when she's not social working.

My mom watering the yard with me in her arms. (This picture is from my house.)

I wish to be a person like she is. A motivator, to help people back on their feet. A caring person, to be there when people need someone. A lover, to save animals from being abused. My mother is a wonder, a accomplisher, a lover of all living things.

Furry Friends Rescue - Where we rescued some of the animals from.
Social Work - One of the sites my mom helped for.