Yuna Kim

by Yujin from Ellicott City, Maryland

Yuna Kim is Korean female figure skater. (soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=217957)

Yuna Kim is a Korean female figure skater. She was born in 1990 in Bucheon, South Korea and moved to the small town of Gunpo when she was 6 years old. After she moved, she started figure skating. She has improved her great ability at figure skating since she went to elementary school. She won all kinds of figure skating competitions. When she won a gold medal in the Novice Ladies event at the 2002 Triglav Trophy, she got financial support from several Korean institutions. She was selected for a member of the national team in 2003. In 2006, she moved to Toronto, Canada for training.

As a result of Kim's hard work, she won the world junior championship and 2005 ISU Junior Grand Prix Final. In the free skate, Kim landed seven triple jumps. Kim won her fourth senior national title for the 2005-2006 seasons. In the 2006-2007 season, she made her senior international debut at 2006 Skate Canada. She won first place in TROPHEE ERIC BOMPARD and SKATE CANADA. Kim started off the 2007-2008 season winning the 2007 Cup of China with a score that was 24.34 points. At the 2007 Cup of Russia, Kim won both the short program and the long program.

Yuna Kim's ending pose during a performance. (www.gatoko.com/category/all/10/212/239/324)

Yuna Kim is a community hero because she overcame an obstacle and became the best female figure skater. She is the first Korean female figure skater to earn the highest score in a world figure skating competition. Before she won first place in the world competition, she practiced very hard without a proper ice rink. Even though she trained so hard, she still couldn't get a good score. But she overcame all the obstacles by pulling her best effort. She trained even harder when the judges gave her unfair scores. Her career encouraged me and taught me a lesson which is that there isn't anything that can replace hard work. I also admire that she donated her own money to a scholarship fund for young skaters. She used to raise money that she earned from making advertisements to help others. She is not just one of the best figure skaters in the world. She is my hero.

Yuna Kim’s Personal Website - Her normal life and pictures
The Korea Times: ‘Queen Yu-na’ Makes History - Article about her ability and current scores