Yao Ming

by Zhang from Beijing

the year of Yao (baike.baidu.com (wallb.com))

My hero in my heart is Yao Ming, one of China's most recognizable athletes, along with Liu Xiang. I have been admiring him and paying close attention to him since I was a little boy who was crazy about playing basketball. The first time I noticed him in an International basketball game, he played so well that I couldn't help loving him. Since then, I have been fascinated by his great skills.

Yao was born in Shanghai in 1980 and began to play basketball when he was only 9 years old. He won the first prize of the teenage basketball competition in 1997 and was on the National Basketball Team one year later. He became the leader of the team and eventually led the team to win the runner-up of the Asian championship. He participated in NBA in 2002. He joined the Houston Rocket team, which he was playing for until he retired. At first, everyone thought he was a newbie just because he was a Chinese player but he showed his great skills and his personal ability and gradually he became the most significant figure on the team because of his height and skills and even became the symbol of the Houston Rockets. He gave the fans a new idea about Chinese basketball players.

Unfortunately, he hurt his left foot and could hardly stand playing basketball any more. After the operation and 18 months of recovery, he pulled through the injury and played again. Destiny doomed him not to play basketball any more and he was injured again. In September 2011,Yao Ming officially announced that he was sorry to retire. 

After retiring, he didn't just give up and do nothing. He made an effort to contribute to charity and became one of the charitable image ambassadors. When the Wen Chuan earthquake broke out, he donated 2 million RMB. Besides this, he joined the cause of protecting wild animals and refused to eat shark fin. 

I have been paying close attention to him both when he was in the NBA and after his retirement. I can see the hope and future of the development of Chinese basketball. With his great impact, I have become much more interested in playing basketball. I enjoy the happiness that basketball gives me. The news from the NBA is always something we chat about during the break. Although he has retired, I will always remember an excellent basketball player who is well-known all over the world. 

Personally, I think Yao Ming can be a history maker, not only for his great basketball skills and his important impact on Chinese basketball, but also for his sympathy and his warm heart to the poor and the animals. He devotes himself to charities and hopes to help more people and animals. Generally speaking, Yao Ming is a hero in my heart.