Yawanda

by Yakida from Collingswood

My inspiration, role model, hero and my very own idol, all of these titles describe my sister, Yawanda “nay-nay” Tribbett. She was born in the busy city of Camden, New Jersey. She’s never stayed in one place for long. Due to her unique personality she’s known almost everywhere. Yawanda has always found herself inspiring not only her siblings but she’s the inspiration of many with her gifted talent for poetry.

Yawanda is a strong sister, granddaughter, aunt, cousin and friend. Being the backbone of the family at such a young age was not easy. Now at twenty-one, she’s taken the place of the mother in my eyes. When my grandmother passed away I was only nine. Leadership, forgiveness and protecting those she cared about the most came natural to her. I’ve always looked up to her and respected her. There were many times when I was close to being ready to just give up but she always told me “pain is temporary; you’re going to get through it just as long as I’m here by your side.” Her words were so smooth they kept me going. Her style so unique many imitated it, she had strength above the top that even those who didn’t know her felt her presence. The love she had for my sisters and me was unconditionally I just had to be like her. I started watching her and trying to model her ways because I was hoping to be just like her.

One Reason to Live.
Created by: Me

“Black, strong and fabulous is what you define yourself as,
Your strength makes you who you are,
Constantly forgiving the main enemy but we both know you’ll never forget our past,
you’re talented and intelligent which definitely stands out,
In case you didn’t know you inspire me with every word that comes out your mouth,
I thank you for just being a great sister and like you told me
you’re perfect and I couldn’t have switched ya,
We’ve both been through a lot but by my side you stood there so true,
I’m pretty sure you already know that I love you,
Like any sisters we’ve had our fights and our times we might be too embarrassed to mention,
I can’t believe it but you were there when I even needed that little sister attention,
I respect you for not only who you are but what you do, I know it’s
pretty obvious but when I grow up I want to be just like you”.

Imitating and following her footsteps I tried to do everything she did and learned all I could from her. Who she is, is who I wanted to be but instead she inspired me to become my own person. Strong, beautiful, funny, smart and unique with a mind of my own describes me now. I was just simply and amazingly influenced by her greatness. If I could I would give her the world because that’s how much I owe her for being not only my hero, but my sister.