Yu Guan Soon

by Su from Tampico

My teacher said the homework is writing about my hero. I came home and I thought and thought because I never had a hero before. For me, it is a very difficult homework. I asked mom and dad but they said, "It is your hero so you need to find out..." I thought so much and I finally had a hero. It is Yu Guan Soon.

When the Japanese come to Korea, they did bad things that Koreans didn't like (like taking their territory). Koreans wanted to regain Korea so Koreans did protests in one place where there were many people to see the other people too. Yu Guan Soon is one person who fought for independence but Japanese did like this. One day Yu Guan Soon made a protest but police of Japan killed Yu Guan Soon. She died at age 18 years, which is a very young girl.

I thought she had so much courage because protesting is very dangerous. When she did her protests police of Japan came and killed her but she was a hero to so many; and she never feared, she thought bravely.

If I were in that position, I would be afraid and might not act like Yu Guan Soon. But maybe I would be a good person of Japan. For example I might give gifts to important people of Japan so Japanese would like me and not kill me. But Yu Guan Soon did not think like that.

Thank Yu Guan Soon, you are a hero of Korea!!