Zhaobing Hu

by Ivor from Newmarket

AVERAGE MAN: MY FATHER (By Ivor Hu from Newmarket)

Most people think of a hero as someone who will do something unexpected and courageous to beat the bad guy, save the day and get the girl just when things looked bleak. However, I think a hero also can be a man who doesn’t do unusual things, doesn’t beat the bad guy and save the day. He just needs character traits that are valuable for us to learn. My father is an individual deserving of recognition as a hero because he is a man who has his own dreams, has positive attitudes towards any situation and also is very sociable.

My daddy has had a number of goals and dreams in different periods of his life. He has liked making wishes since he was a child. He believed that if he made a wish on the Evening Star, it will come true. He told my grandmother: “I wish I can be a spaceman to travel the universe.” My grandmother laughed and said: “Yes, you wish and dream with all your little heart. But you remember that the old star can only take you part of the way. You've got to help it along with some hard work of your own, and then, you can do anything you set your mind to.” My father studied hard because of this advice. He believed that fairy tales can come true. When he grew up and got married, he realized that he needed a new dream to achieve his ambition and to earn money for his family. He dreamed he can have a big company and earn much money, which was not for himself, but for his family. He worked so hard, though he hasn’t become a zillionaire, he had a medium size company which is enough for our expenses. He is 48 years old now and he always imagines he can own a big farm in Australia. He can enjoy planting, foresting and milking. He will have enough time to stay with his family. These are some of the dreams in my father’s life. The dreams make him happy and give him strength to grow. And so, as my father observed: “The old town can slow you down. People usually take the easy way. But I know exactly where I’m going. I’m almost there because I’m getting closer and closer every day. Maybe people down here think I’m crazy, but I don’t care. I have had my share of trials and tribulations. There ain’t anything going to stop me, because I’m almost there.” (Disney's Princess and the Frog)

My daddy is always optimistic towards life and faces different situations with a positive attitude. Twenty years ago, my father was a worker who made only 100 Yuan to immigrate to Shenzhen. He had nothing in this new city except for his belief--- I’m going to do my best to take my place in the sun. He was one hard-working man: double, sometimes triple shifts. Never letting on how bone tired and beat over him really was. Although my father didn’t get what he wanted at that time, he had what he needed--- the love from his family and friends. He was so happy, even in the years just when things looked bleak. He never gives up because he knows what is really important---it's not money or not opportunity; but it is the love and your own attitude towards life. Today, my father has become a boss of one company. He has earned enough money for his family. He still has self-control and an unsophisticated heart. He always teaches young people: “The rich is going to make you happy, now. Did it make you happy then? No! Money ain’t got no soul and no heart. All you need is self-control to make yourself a brand-new start, blue and sunshine guaranteed.” (Disney)Positive attitudes always bring a cheerful reminder to my daddy to remind him what is really important for now and what does him need to do. They lead him to become a man who is smart, optimistic and content.

In my father’s heart, there is always an angel living there. He is a very sociable man, like I have never seen before. Since I was a child, my father had begun to raise funds to buy the poor much food and means of warmth. He went to the impoverished country every year to bring the money and clothes to local prisons. He always says to the persons responsible: “You don’t need say anything about this. I’m much obliged to you, many thanks to you and bless you because you make me so conciliate.” He also is a good boss for his staff. Every Christmas Day and New Years, he usually tries his best to help his staffs’ struggling families. And he is better than his word. He did all that he said he would and more. He likes children very much, he is like a second father to all staffs’ kids. He believes every child is very intelligent and delightful and every adult needs to be valued and protected because they are gifts from God. He is so kind in the community we live in. Everyone knows him with his good character and behaviors. He has a gift to make gumbo, he likes sharing it with the neighborhood. He said the thing about good food is that it brings folks together from all walks of life. It warms them right up and puts smiles on their faces, which can make you feel like you have the most comfort from this world. My father despises the man who is odious, stingy, hard and unfeeling very much. The bounty gives him happy life and a lovely heart. He thinks everyone in this world needs to have a happy life. As same as his saying: “God bless us, everyone!”

My father is a hero in my life. He is firm, optimistic and sociable. He makes the city a better place, even it is only in small ways. He became as good a friend and as good a man which has recognized him as a good citizen that a city could ever have who lives around us and lights the way to our innermost being.