Zaheda

by Zarmeen from New York

My mommy is the best person in the world. Her career involves helping people in everyday life. She works as an addiction counselor. She helps people despite what happened to her in childhood. And that's what makes her a true hero. (It is also the fact that she gave birth to me!)

When my mom was three years old, her mom died. Not just that, she grew up in Pakistan. She lived in a place of poverty. Her early life was terrible. Her grandmother, who took care of her after her mom died, passed away when my mom was eight. If that wasn't enough, her dad died when she was ten years old. Also, her uncle, who supported the family, died when she was fourteen. She had a depressing childhood. "I didn't get trapped in my loss," says my mom.

Now I would like to tell you about the happy parts of her childhood. She has three sisters and two brothers. Including her cousins that lived with them, they were ten sisters and five brothers. Wow! Big family. Imagine having that! The only time in her childhood that my mom was truly happy was at her eldest brother's wedding. Now my uncle, her brother, has one son and three grandsons. Most of my cousins are older than me. Some are around my age. Some are babies. It's a crazy family. That is what happens when you have a huge, wonderful family.

My mom is an addiction counselor. Her job involves helping people who are addicted to drugs. She says that she chose her career because a family friend died from using drugs. I feel happy that my mom is a person who helps people everyday. This is what I absolutely love about her.

In conclusion, I would like to say that my mom is a very important person. She helps people despite the tragic losses that she had to endure when she was young. This is what makes her a truly kind person. This is what makes her my hero.