Zaicheng

by Wenhan from Beijing

Hi, my name is Wenhan Sun, and my hero is my dad. Let me tell you about my dad, my dad is a Professor in China. His name is Zaicheng Sun. He is working on materials science north of Beijing. So I don't see him often, but he is a great dad. He mostly plays computer with me, because in Beijing it's unhealthy to stay outside on polluted days... (and in Beijing that's every other day.) And our house is too small to play anything!!!

My dad is working on trying to make a new energy source from water. Water can be split into hydrogen and oxygen. Hydrogen can be used as a fuel like natural gas which we are using for cooking right now. Traditionally, water can be split by electricity which we use now-a-days.  My dad wants to use sunlight instead of electricity. He is making a kind of special nanomaterials, that can absorb the sunlight and help to split water. This materials also can be used as an air purifier. 

My dad is my hero, because he is trying to make the air purifier. The air is really dirty in Beijing. I hope he will be able to invent it. So I can play outside with him...